Washable (Decorated) Dummy Cakes

Decorating By Evone Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 1:36pm by megmarie

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 3

Hi gals and guys,
I was wondering if there is something that you can use to put on the dummy cake after it is decorated to be able to keep the colors vivid and to be washable. Like some sort of spray??? We were asked to put up a display cake in a large hotel for Valentine's Day, and we are concerned that the colors will fade and people will touch and get it dirty..

Let me know thanks.
Evone

2 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 3

I have dusted my flowers with chalk pastel dust and the colours have stayed bright. Some of my cakes have been on display for long periods of time and dirt and fingerprints have not really been a problem. When I get the cakes back I wipe the spots with a damp cloth and then dry them. The cake looks new. The bigger problem are people who try to break the cake apart. I had one returned with gouges out of the fondant and pieces missing. The gouges can usually be repaired though with a bit of royal icing that is smoothed against the surface and the missing pieces replaced.

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 3

Hi Evone,

I don't know if there is a specific product made just for that use, but I was thinking a water-based urathane should do the job (I used to work in a paint store for a few years). Especially if it's just for looks & washability (get at least a satin finish). Minwax has a nice spray product that dries pretty fast, I copied this off their website for you:

Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish is a crystal clear, fast-drying protective topcoat for use over bare wood, oil- and water-based stains, paint and wallpaper. It has very little odor, is non-flammable, cleans up easily with soap and water, and can be recoated in only 2 hours. Minwax® Polycrylic® resists damage from abrasion, scuffing, chipping, water, alcohol and other common household chemicals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%