Dinosaur Cake

Decorating By sparkscakes Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 3:22am by sparkscakes

sparkscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkscakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if there is a way to make a dinosaur cake standing on his hind legs. i was going to have the tail as a support as well..
will the cake be too heavy to hold up??. icon_confused.gif

3 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:17am
post #2 of 4

I think if you use pound cake you'll be fine- it's dense enough to hold up to carving. There's a choc version and white version using a cake mix in recipes. And there's also the Hershey's recipe if you want scratch. You could also use RKT for all or part of it (maybe the tail) .Just make sure you use necessary support between the layers. icon_smile.gif

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:41am
post #3 of 4

I did a dinosaur cake (in my photos) and used pound cake filled with ganache. It held up very well on a three hour car trip. Between each "tier" of cake (about every 4 inches), I doweled and then speared the whole body with a thicker pointy dowel which had been screwed into a board. I kept the center dowel taller than the cake then made the head from RKT. Arms were also from RKT. Tail was cake, which added a lot of extra servings. Hope I've helped and if you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer! Good luck!

sparkscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkscakes Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:22am
post #4 of 4

thank you so much!..i will try using pound cake, and RKT!icon_smile.gif
lots of support..check. got it!thanks!!!icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%