How To Support Elmo, Help Please, Experienced With This?

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 4:41am by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 13

jumping out of cake, how do I secure him, he needs to travel 25 miles...need good support

12 replies
madgeowens Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:25am
post #2 of 13

wow no help at all..............oh no

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:26am
post #3 of 13

Depending on how big he is I would use wooden skewers. If he has enough space at the base I would "glue" him down with some melted chocolate. That will really secure him.

Maybe if he wasn't even really thick on the base you can use some red candy melts, and that way it will blend in.

madgeowens Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:32am
post #4 of 13

I want tp have him on top of the cake, looking like he is jumping out. I was thinking of skewering him right thru from head to torso and into the cake and foamcore board. My problem is making him ahead of the cake...will the rice krispy treats get to hard before I screw him into the cake? I hope this makes sense. thanks

madgeowens Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:35am
post #5 of 13

or would it be better to put skewer into him when I make elmo and have so much sticking out the bottom that I can stick into the cake???But then how would I pound it down...sheesh

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 13

Yes, put the skewer in him once you make him, and then use another skewer to make the hole in the cake and just slide him in.

madgeowens Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 13

I was thinking of putting the skewer in elmo rkt then after cake is made hammer it down into the foamcore coard, and that will really secure him/what do you think???

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:55am
post #8 of 13

I to am making an Elmo and need help . Hate to high jack your post but , it may help us all lol . My question is if you make Elmo's head and body medium sized will he fall apart or fall over {w/ skewer already in him ready to place in the cake } Does RKT really hold up ? thanks

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 13

RKT hold up perfectly when they are allowed to dry. Make them (I usually don't add the butter) put a skewer or dowel in him and lay him on waxed paper. Do NOT put in tupperware because he will get smooshy again.

I have never had a problem with a RKT falling over during travel. I have either made the base large enough to sit on the cake and place the pieces of dried fondant-like he's bursting out of a package-around him to steady everything during transportation or skewer him and stick him in. If you feel better pounding him into the bottom board, do it! Just don't make him top heavy and you won't have a problem.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:33am
post #10 of 13

Thank you very much Mgdqueen , this makes me feel a whole lot better about the one I will be doing in 3 wks , and hopefully it helped the OP . aswell ! icon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:36am
post #11 of 13

I like PVC pipe attached to a grommet, attached to round wood 1/2" thick circle.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1288500

Husband are great at building support systems.

andreac999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreac999 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:28am
post #12 of 13

I just made a cake this weekend for my daughter's bday with Elmo bursting out of the cake. I made the RKT without butter and then molded Elmo's head and body and put wooden dowel rods up through the body and through the head (I left enough length so I could put it through the top tier to the cake board). I "glued" on the arms with royal icing and dowel rods through the body. I let everything dry/harden a little for a few days and it worked well.

madgeowens Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #13 of 13

thanks but the cake has already been done....this past Saturday thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%