How Do I Do This??? Please Help

Decorating By krissycupcakes Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm by tinygoose

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 27

Ok so my friend is driving me nut Im making her cake and these are the things she likes so far square cakes, braches with cherry blossoms, bows, dots, and quilting. All are great but... together its a miss mosh but she did send me this pic and Im sure its not a hard thing to do but have no clue how to do it!!! please let me know if youve done this or know how I would go about it. and what would I call this technique??
LL

26 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 27

I don't know, but it looks like a double layer type thing where the top layer has the cut outs! Maybe BC underneath and the fondant on top with the cut outs? I really like the looks of this technique. I'll have to watch this one.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 27

I'm guessing that the cake was covered with the chocolate fondant and then the pieces were cut and carefully removed. I saw something similar done on TV once. She covered the cake with two contrasting colors of fondant so the underneath color was seen as the design was removed. I can't tell for sure if the one you have pictured has white fondant under the choc. or if it is BC underneath. Hopefully someone will see your post who has done this technique.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 27

There is probably a fancy name for it but basically you cover the cake with mint colored fondant and then cover it again with dark brown or chocolate fondant. Trace your pattern onto the cake and cut out the bits with an exacto craft knife. Use fondant and gum paste tools with Crisco to help smooth the inside edges. I used my tools(mostly the bone tool) to help smooth the inside edges of the multi layer Super S plaque I made. They are wonder full!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 27

I have to agree, the top layer was cut out. Never thought to try this technique and I absolutely love it. I'm going to have to try it on something.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 27

Hi, you have to cover the cakes in white/cream fondant and then in brown fondant. Then do the cutout pattern and stack the cakes. I might use a thin layer of shortening on the white/cream fondant so that the brown fondant can stick. But if the stains can be seen, remove it using a bit of vodka. icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 27

I wonder if the person is a member of CC - did your friend tell you what site she got the picture from?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 27

i agree.. the first layer is thin layer of fondant. then covered with a little thicker layer of chocolate fondant.. then the cut outs. i,ve seen this done.. with replacing the cutouts with a different color of fondant also. haven,t done it.. but seen the tutorial in acd magazine ive seen it done with halloweeen cutouts... you have to be very careful when cutting them out..but it is very pretty cake

krissycupcakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 27

thanks all Im going to have to pray to the cake gods alot (im not religous but when it comes to cake i pray alot..lol) but thats what i thought i would have to cut it while its on the cake i hope i dont mess up the under layerbut i do plan on adding cherry blossoms to this design so i guess i could cover stuff up with them if needed i hope she likes it shes just letting me do it and surprise her with it. so all i have to go on is what i put in my first post.... not alot to go on!!! thanks all for your help and i hope you all find a reason to try this to!!

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm
post #10 of 27

Can't wait to see iticon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

I wonder if the person is a member of CC - did your friend tell you what site she got the picture from?

That was a cake done by Mel at www.wildcakes.ca

and it's inspired by Jessica Berard's cake from Montreal....

www.jessicaberardcakes.com

thumbs_up.gif

krissycupcakes Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 5:42am
post #12 of 27

thanks antonia

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:57am
post #13 of 27

I know this is not the subject we are on, but maybe someone can help with a question I have.
When I click on a picture from todays pictures to comment on, or save to my favorites, I have to go back to todays favorites and clik maybe 75 times to get back to that picture and begin looking again. And then if I want to comment or save another picture, its the same over again. Is there another way???? Please tell me there is and I am just computer illterate....
And before the pictures went to this new format I could comment and also e-mail it to a friend. I no longer see that option. Is it gone

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:14am
post #14 of 27

I agree with everyone..double layer.
Edna icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:56pm
post #15 of 27

Nancyg - right click on the picture - open to new window, that way you won't have to go all the way back.

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:52pm
post #16 of 27

krissycupcakes,
I havent heard anyone suggest modeling chocolate as the top layer. You could use mint colored and flavored fondant underneath which would give you a good background to cut out the design in the modeling chocolate which will be very pliable and easy to cut.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:30pm
post #17 of 27

I'm wondering what you would do that would get the top layer to stick to the underneath layer without having the brown fondant/modeling chocolate leave discoloration on the white layer where you remove the cutout parts.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, you have to cover the cakes in white/cream fondant and then in brown fondant. Then do the cutout pattern and stack the cakes. I might use a thin layer of shortening on the white/cream fondant so that the brown fondant can stick. But if the stains can be seen, remove it using a bit of vodka. icon_smile.gif

artscallion Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm
post #19 of 27

Oh, I missed that. Thanks!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm
post #20 of 27

when I saw it done on TV the decorator dusted the underneath layer heavily with corn starch in the area of the design before applying the top layer of fondant.

artscallion Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #21 of 27

SO Crisco, or some other method of adhesion, all around, except in the area where the design will be, with lots of CS there. That makes sense.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

I know this is not the subject we are on, but maybe someone can help with a question I have.
When I click on a picture from todays pictures to comment on, or save to my favorites, I have to go back to todays favorites and clik maybe 75 times to get back to that picture and begin looking again. And then if I want to comment or save another picture, its the same over again. Is there another way???? Please tell me there is and I am just computer illterate....
And before the pictures went to this new format I could comment and also e-mail it to a friend. I no longer see that option. Is it gone

nancyg - a great method is to 'right-click' on the photo rather than open it, and choose either the 'Open link in new window' or 'Open link in new tab' option. That way you view the photo in a separate window or tab, and then you can go back to where you were in the original window/tab.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:07am
post #23 of 27

This is for TNT Fundraiser........
Thank you soooo much. Can"t believe how easy it is to pull pictures this way. I appreciate your help.

Thank you
nancyG

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:01am
post #24 of 27

krissycupcakes this is a beautiful cake! I would love to see and hear how you went about it. I like the idea of the cornstarch behind the picture, except I think it would be difficult to just do the right spots with such a fine design. What about sticking the 2nd colour fondant on with a tiny bit of water and just leaving the design area free??

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:45am
post #25 of 27

I did this one using white fondant over red fondant. I don't think I used anything to attach. As I recall it stuck just enough on it's own, no water, crisco, etc. I had made a template and used an exacto knife. The biggest trick is knowing how deep to cut. After the first few cuts you get a feel for it.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1466241

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:49pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

I did this one using white fondant over red fondant. I don't think I used anything to attach. As I recall it stuck just enough on it's own, no water, crisco, etc. I had made a template and used an exacto knife. The biggest trick is knowing how deep to cut. After the first few cuts you get a feel for it.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1466241

Excellent detail work on it.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #27 of 27

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%