I'm So Excited!!

Decorating By milmil95 Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 6:32am by bmoser24

milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 15

I just got my first wedding cake!! It's in April. I am very excited and nervous(sp?). I'm really happy becasue I feel like I priced it correctly icon_biggrin.gif
It's going to be a 3 tiered sqaure cake, slightly turned like a stair case, and her colors are hot pink and orange, which will be accent colors on a white cake. Buttercream cake with fondant accents.
The cake has to travel 93 miles to the reception from where I live.
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm still new at this and would appreciate the feed back.
Thanks!

14 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 15

Wow, congrats!!

Those were my wedding colours too...so bright & funky. icon_cool.gif

Here's my cake....buttercream with ribbon edging. It was actually a two-tiered skinny rectangle cake, just to be different. My boss made it for us.

(A waiter walked into the side of it before pics were taken, d'oh! Of COURSE that would have to happen to mine, lol)

You'll do great!!
thumbs_up.gif
LL
LL

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Wow, congrats!!

Those were my wedding colours too...so bright & funky. icon_cool.gif

Here's my cake....buttercream with ribbon edging. It was actually a two-tiered skinny rectangle cake, just to be different. My boss made it for us.

(A waiter walked into the side of it before pics were taken, d'oh! Of COURSE that would have to happen to mine, lol)

You'll do great!!

Wowsie, thats so cool, What pans did they use??
thumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 15

She didn't use pans. She cut 1/2 sheet cakes into rectangular layers....4 layers each if i recall correctly? They were really tall.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 15

Congratulations milmil95. I did my first wedding last weekend (cupcakes though, so I kinda feel like it doesn't count) and it was a great buzz.

My only advice would be to try to think about EVERYTHING beforehand, plan, plan, plan and do whatever you can beforehand (flowers/decs etc)

I don't do BC cakes so I can't give you any advice on transporting.

Good luck. You'll be great! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 15

antonia, that has to be the funkiest and coolest cake I've ever seen for a wedding. Talk about being "different" ...LOVE it!!

caraleecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caraleecupcake Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:44am
post #7 of 15

Congrats!!

I'm also doing my first wedding cake in April too! So I would also love to know ANY tips/advice. It's going to be a 2-3 tier cake (depending if I do a grooms cake too), covered in faux fondant buttercream with fondant decor. Its going to be a beach theme.

Question: since I am attending the wedding as well, they offered to let me drop off the cake the day before. Is it ok to be stored in the refrigerator overnight? Will condensation affect it at all the next day - its going to be outside, but under the tent. I have a feeling I will just bring it the day of...

milmil95 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 15

Wow antonia that is an awesome cake! Love it.

I'm already starting to plan now so I can think of more things along the way.

milmil95 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 15

OK ... now the weekend of the wedding is looming and I am beginning to be a nervous wreck!

I haven't decided if I should stack the cake before I go or stack on-site.
Any suggestions? It's traveling 93 miles to the reception site.

Not sure what to do. I am stacking with wooden dowels for support between tiers.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 15

If you're just using dowels, I would stack on site. You just don't want to risk it. Pack an emergency kits and bring extra of any flowers or things you can use to cover up flaws you might have from delivery or stacking. I will travel with a 2 tier stacked, anything bigger is usually too heavy for me to carry. I use SPS so I have a feel like i have sturdy system but I still can't pick up a cake that big! If you do stack before hand make sure you get the center dowel all the way into the cake base. Good luck!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 15

Congrats!!! I also am doing my first wedding on the 24th of this month too. It is both nervous and exciting. Hubby doesn't understand - he keeps telling me that you have done 2 tier cakes before. I tell him it's a wedding though..he just doesn't get it icon_biggrin.gif

I wish mine had the exciting colors, I love bright colors! Mine is ivory w/sage green and calla lilies.

Good luck on your cake, you will do great!!! Post pics icon_smile.gif

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 15

I agree with sillywabbitz....I don't trust wooden dowels. Had a bad experience with a 2 tier. The ripped right through the cake during transport! I just did a 3 tier beach themed cake this past weekend. I transported the tiers separately and decorated on site. Mostly b/c I had to "glue" on the sea shells and coral to the sides of the cake but I wasn't willing to take any chances.

milmil95 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will transport the cakes separately, especially sine they are 16,12, and 8 in 2 layers each.

I am already packing my kit to take with me that will have fondant in all my colors, dowels, pruning shears, bubble tea straws, icing, bags and tips, spatula, Viva paper towels and a roller, camera, hand sanitizer, and gloves.

My DH is going with me to help me stack the tiers (and help keep me sane if the worst happens!)
I will definitely post pix when done.

Thank you for all your help icon_lol.gif

milmil95 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:22am
post #14 of 15

Other than being late and getting the cake set up literally a minute before the wedding guests arrived at the reception it went really well!

I am a little disappointed with the cake though. When I originally did my final coat of buttercream it was really smooth and looked great. When I took it out and set it up at the reception it wasn't so smooth looking. The lighting was totally different there so that may be some of it.

I think I did good for my first wedding cake, also having to transport it 93 miles away and set it up. I have 2 more weddings in the works right now, both for friends so I am striving to do a much better job with those cakes.

I wasn't there when the bride and groom arrives so I have no idea how they like it but her aunt was there when I was setting it up and she was very pleased and said the bride would be as well. I hope so!

Here's a pic of the cake. I loved their topper =)
LL

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:32am
post #15 of 15

Wow, nice cake...congrats. I think we see more things than others. I just did a 3 tier cake for a 21 BD, and the top tier started sinking...it was off set. I just help my breath and even noticed the fondant dtarting to stress... they didnt notice a thing. I saw a pic later and it did look good. i was my own critic...lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%