Trying To Understand Smbc From A Decorating Standpoint

Decorating By crpchristian Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 9:37am by moscakes5

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:24am
post #31 of 57

I use Czech BC, which in my opinion tastes and and feels like SMBC or IMBC, but I stabilize it (if that's the correct word) with a "cream" made of Wondra (just like kids very soft cream of wheat). You don't taste the flour in the icing as it is cooked, but what I am going to say is, it is not that "soupy" like IMBC, it is more creamy and workable when decorating. Maybe you could add the cream in your icing.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #32 of 57

Jamie, I just peed a little when I saw your barfing kitten. That's all. Keep it up. thumbs_up.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:16am
post #33 of 57

Thanks ZlatkaT that sounds worth a try. Tell me how you make your "cream" with Wondra(in the blue canister right?)

ZlatkaT Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:08am
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Thanks ZlatkaT that sounds worth a try. Tell me how you make your "cream" with Wondra(in the blue canister right?)

Yes it is flour in a blue canister (Vons or other supermarkets has it) it is flour commonly used for making gravy.
Put 3 TBSP in 1 cup cold milk, whisk, then cook until it thicken; when out of heat add 3 Tbsp Crisco, vanilla (or chocolate to melt) and let it cool. When cool add to your whisked butter, add PS to taste and there you have Czech BC thumbs_up.gif

crpchristian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crpchristian Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:37am
post #35 of 57

Hah, I love how lol cats savy this forum is.

I'll try this new recipe and see how that stuff goes, that cakes canada recipe for SMBC looks like the kind of icing i was hoping to get judging by the pic so I'll try that, thanks for the mention.

The Czech BC sounds interesting, I'll have to try that too, I'm in very much in the experimental icing phase.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm
post #36 of 57

When i make SMBC (the only thing i use) i add the butter right out of the fridge, but even if i dont just keep whipping it if its watery, or add alittle more butter if it still doesnt come together, like 2 Tbsp at a time. I add it turn out watery on me one OMG it was terrible, tried frosting a cake and it just watered all over, and when it happened again i threw it out.... now i know if it is the right temp, just add more butter.... HTH

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

Yes it is flour in a blue canister (Vons or other supermarkets has it) it is flour commonly used for making gravy.
Put 3 TBSP in 1 cup cold milk, whisk, then cook until it thicken; when out of heat add 3 Tbsp Crisco, vanilla (or chocolate to melt) and let it cool. When cool add to your whisked butter, add PS to taste and there you have Czech BC thumbs_up.gif

Those seem like such small amounts how much does it make?

And how much butter?

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:06am
post #38 of 57

Ok - jealousy happening over here! Is it possible to make either IMBC or SMBC with a bench mix master or is a KA a must have? icon_sad.gif

ZlatkaT Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #39 of 57

Sadsmile,

It makes 3 1/2 cups of icing.

1c milk
3 Tbsp Wondra
1 Tbsp Vanilla
3 Tbsp Crisco
2 1/2 C powdered sugar
1/2 lb butter

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #40 of 57

You can make SMBC with a wisk if you really wanted to (and have the strength icon_wink.gif).

I have heard that people make it with high ratio shortening... maybe mixing that with your smart balance would help. icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:48am
post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

You can make SMBC with a wisk if you really wanted to (and have the strength icon_wink.gif).

I have heard that people make it with high ratio shortening... maybe mixing that with your smart balance would help. icon_smile.gif

Good lord a whisk I'd lose an arm.
But that's how they did it in the 1800's.
The first time I made SMBC I did it with my hand held mixer. I wonder if I didn't whip right and maybe that's why it was not stable. Yeah the butter I know I know.. good new there I talked to someone who uses the stick form of the same stuff and she said the water content is less and it works great.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:14am
post #42 of 57

I'll give some suggestions on what to do with that Smart Balance all right....hee heeeee.

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:18pm
post #43 of 57

LOL... I have some Smart Balance Light in the fridge. My hubby uses it since he is dieting (I use it too from time to time). It doesn't taste bad on toast or on asparagus. Never used it in baking though. Does it come in sticks? As a general rule, stick margarine wrks better in baking and all that, so maybe if you can find a stick margarine like Blue Bonnet? Stick margarine has less water in it than the tub margarine if I remember correctly.

But here's the kicker... margarine is always salted right? And making SMBC or IMBC wth salted butter is, IM(not-so)HO plain icky. It just tastes like butter with sugar in it... good on a scone... not so much on a cake. So maybe finding a way to do it with shortening is they way to go. Since margarine is basically the same as shortening with some water and butter flavor and salt thrown in... it might be a decent alternative. Get yourself some high ratio shortening and use that and a little butter flavoring? Not ideal for me, but it just might work. I might have to grab some HR shortening and some clear butter flavoring and see if it does. It would be nice to have a non-dairy alternative.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:35pm
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

Ok - jealousy happening over here! Is it possible to make either IMBC or SMBC with a bench mix master or is a KA a must have? icon_sad.gif

I make SMBC with a hand mixer when I vaca to my mother's... she has no baking supplies, i even have to by the hand mixer somewhere for 10 bucks...

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

I'll give some suggestions on what to do with that Smart Balance all right....hee heeeee.

I'll butta ya biscuit!
Mine is Earth Balance different from Smart Balance. I think the Smart Balance has an even higher water content and is more aerated. Any who I am going to go get it in schtick from and try that.

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:00pm
post #46 of 57

Is it salted? That's the only thing that would ruin it for me. I can't stand SMBC made with salted butter, and I LOVE SMBC so it pains me to say that, but it's the truth. Even made with 1/2 salted and 1/2 unsalted... yeck! It might not be worth wasting your Earth Balance unless you can get it in unsalted form. I know that is not cheap.

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #47 of 57

It was soo good we ate it all... I used a double strength vanilla so I didn't double the liquid vanilla content. Me likes flav-a!

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:17pm
post #48 of 57

Oh good!! icon_smile.gif Did you just sub the Earth Balance for the butter? Didn't add any extra or anything? Good to know there is a dairy free option.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:35pm
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

The reason to lose the Smart Balance is taste LOLOL. If someone is worried about thier heart, let them eat a rice cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Great answer!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #50 of 57

If it's not BUTTER it's not SMBC is it??? Never had a problem with adding the butter; I do it from the fridge and at room temp (if I remember to take it out of the fridge). Works great and tastes soooo good. icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

The reason to lose the Smart Balance is taste LOLOL. If someone is worried about their heart, let them eat a rice cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Great answer!

True to a point, when you have dairy allergies you are used to what you are used to. And SMBC and IMBC are so yummy and way better then ABC So making it with what we are used to tastes fabulous to us. Straight out of the container you can tell the difference between it and butter, But on toast or in recipes you really can't tell the difference is so slight.

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #52 of 57

Yeah.. I get what you are saying, but they call "buttercream" made with 100% shortening and powdered sugar buttercream so I say still you can still call it SMBC with Earth Balance margarine.

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:37pm
post #53 of 57

Ha ha ha short-cream.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:19pm
post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Ha ha ha short-cream.

Blaagghhh.........vomit!

[/quote]lthiele wrote:
Ok - jealousy happening over here! Is it possible to make either IMBC or SMBC with a bench mix master or is a KA a must have?

I make SMBC with a hand mixer when I vaca to my mother's... she has no baking supplies, i even have to by the hand mixer somewhere for 10 bucks...

Excellent - thanks for that, I just didn't want to blow up my mixer! I guess if I used a whisk - it'd be the cardio I needed to work off what I was about to eat! icon_lol.gif

(Oops - haven;t figured out how to do multipe quotes in a post! Messy! icon_redface.gif )

crpchristian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crpchristian Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:30am
post #55 of 57

Alright, well its been a while but I finally got around to attempting SMBC again, and I killed it (saying that in the positive, slang way icon_lol.gif )

I think the key was making sure the sugar completely melts, making sure the butter and meringue are both room temperature, using good/real butter, and just adding it slowly but steady bit by bit.

It did not take very long to make this time and turned out really really well, i'm completely sold on SMBC now.

Thanks for all the input everyone, i'll go to bed with a smile on my face tonight heh.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:36am
post #56 of 57

Sweet! Next time, do it with brown sugar....O.M.G.

moscakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moscakes5 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 9:37am
post #57 of 57

http://www.dyannbakes.com/index.php?post_category=icing

There is a great video that I like and think may be helpful. Although she is not producing further videos I really like site.

Also I like Dede Wison's IMBC from her Wedding Cakes You Can Make: Designing, Baking, and Decorating the Perfect Wedding Cake

Both taste great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%