How Do I Make A Shadow Box Effect With Fondant?

Decorating By frogger113 Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm by Renaejrk

frogger113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogger113 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 2

This is for a wedding cake with gear shapes used in a shadow box look trailing down the side of the cake...

If I want to make a shadow box effect with fondant what would be the best method? The way I think it would be done is cover the cake with fondant and then put a second layer over the first and cut out with an exacto knife the image... The first layer of fondant would be a different color than the top layer. Is this the best way? Is there a better way? I don't want the fondant to be two thick with 2 layers so what thickness would you suggest... I would appreciate any suggestions, comments and ideas!

Thanks for reading!
Alli

1 reply
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 2

As far as I know that is the best way to do it, though I'm sure there are others. Your first layer could be rolled as thin as possible, though. Or if you know exactly where the cut outs will be, you could put some very thin fondant on those spots on the bc, then put your outer layer of fondant on and do your cutting, then there wouldn't be a whole layer of the first color of fondant on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%