How Do I Make Black Fondant?

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 11:51pm by FlourPots

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:27am
post #1 of 11

is it even possible? how do i make black fondant? do i just add the black gel color? because i know making black buttercream is soooo hard. or atleast it is for me!

any tips? or should i just buy it?

sara

10 replies
LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:36am
post #2 of 11

I gave up on black fondant a long time ago. I just buy it now and it is sooo much easier and cleaner!

katystinykitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katystinykitchen Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:39am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

I gave up on black fondant a long time ago. I just buy it now and it is sooo much easier and cleaner!

Agreed. I don't even try making it, I bought a container from GSA and love it!!!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:40am
post #4 of 11

I agree with PPs. The short answer is: BUY IT!! Save yourself the time and trouble.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:40am
post #5 of 11

As long as a chocolate flavor would be all right, you can make chocolate fondant and then it only takes a little bit of black color. If you can't use chocolate, then get Americolor's super black color because it doesn't take as much. If you're making a whole batch black, add the color when you add the liquid in the recipe, and it will be less likely to end up dry and crumbly. If you only need a little bit, then just knead it in, and if it gets dry, add a couple drops of water and knead until it feels right again.

Also, it will darken a shade overnight, so you can make dark gray, wrap it up and let it sit overnight and when you get up, it will be dark enough.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:44am
post #6 of 11

I substitute some of the powder sugar with cocoa, and then add the black(tbs) and it will get dark in the next day or two. hth

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 11

There is a recipe in the recipe section for "True Black MMF". I tried it this weekend and got pretty darn close to black. I should have added a bit more color. It's a bag of mini marshmallows, 6 oz of chocolate chips and a 1lb of 10x sugar. The chocolate chips make it dark brown, then you just have to get it to black with 1-2tsp of black coloring. It was my first attempt at making my own fondant and it was easier than I thought. Good luck!!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 11

I make black fondant all the time. I make MFF and add quite a bit of americolor superblack when I add the other liquid ingredients to the sugar, though I have made sure and used less glycerine in the recipe, or add tylose which seems to help it not get too soft. I just can't afford to buy black fondant - or any fondant- it's so expensive! I can make a 4.5-5 pound batch for less than 8 bucks, depending on fluctuating prices of my ingredients. So if you can afford to buy it, that's fine, it's a lot less work - lol! But if you need to keep your costs down then making it is the way to go - it is possible and really not that difficult.

4pebbles2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4pebbles2 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 11

Funny this subject came up because i had the same problem last night but
i found on a web site that told you to mix all left over color you have laying around,add royal blue and then black. It worked darn good. I was working with gum paste though but im sure it would be the same with fondant.
here is the web site i got it from. They tell you how to make other colors as well... Plus they have tons of tutorials. http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 11

Yes... start with chocolate fondant/buttercream if you can, and when you do, use Hershey's special dark cocoa powder... it results in a much darker color than regular cocoa powder.

A friend of mine who is a cake decorator gave me this idea. Here's some examples of her "black":

http://cakeideas.blogspot.com/2010/01/dark-chocolate-buttercream-on-whipped.html

http://cakeideas.blogspot.com/2008/10/its-fall-and-halloween-time.html

- Leisel

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 11

I also make it from leftover fondant and it works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%