Doug Or...? Tripod Help

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 4:10pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:54am
post #1 of 9

I am working on plans this week for a telescope cake. I have in my head how it should be done...a tripod which I'll paint black...the tripod will necessarily be half sized, not too tall or hard to transport...(maybe a foot tall) and then somehow connected to the top, a gently angled board with a small vertical piece of wood at the lower end to support some of the weight. Will be 40 servings...not too long, but not too fat either...sort of a happy medium. The board I got is a 1/2" thick 20" round wooden cake base.

But I do not know how best to make the tripod? Out of metal? And how best to attach the angled board to where it is very sturdy? The cake is in two weeks but I need to have plans drawn up for a friend to build the stand this Saturday.

Also what would be the most attractive way to cover the board? Can't be with foil if the tripod is already attached...and fondant might look dull next to painted stand... a painted board would look textured though.

Thanks!!!

(Photos I'm working from below)
http://opticsbybushnell.com/library/bushnelldeepspace525x3telescope.jpg
http://opticsbybushnell.com/library/bushnelldeepspace675x45telescope.jpg

8 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:38am
post #2 of 9

You can get small camera tripods for under $25. May be easier (and maybe not too much more expensive) than trying to make one. Then you could cut a hole in a board and use the bolt in the top of the tripod to attach.

Best Buy has a couple on their website for 14 and 16.

Kitagrl Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:38am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

You can get small camera tripods for under $25. May be easier (and maybe not too much more expensive) than trying to make one. Then you could cut a hole in a board and use the bolt in the top of the tripod to attach.

Geez, why didn't I think of that?!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #4 of 9

Because we just love to reinvent the wheel!

Kitagrl Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #5 of 9

You rock. haha.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:50am
post #6 of 9

We bought a small camera tripod for $7 at Target last week.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:46am
post #7 of 9

finally saw this tuesday 11:46 pm my time

can only say:

GMTA -- Icubed82 took the words right out of my addled brain!

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #8 of 9

Haha thanks!

Kitagrl Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 9

Just wanted to let you guys know I uploaded my cake... it turned out okay...not as perfectly straight as I would want, I have alot of trouble making things with perfect angles to look realistic...it seems to dip a tad on each end...and my eyepiece is not very smooth. Otherwise...there it is. Hopefully its such an uncommon cake they won't notice the imperfections! Transport makes me nervous as well. Theoretically it should NOT budge...but still the shaking the entire stand does makes me nervous. haha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%