Can I Make Imbc Flavored With Chocolate...shirley's Method?

Baking By aej6 Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 2:31am by antonia74

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #1 of 5

Is it possible to make a chocolate IMBC ??
I've searched but couldn't find an answer. If so, may I ask how much chocolate to add and when in the process to add it? I was going to try IMBC-Shirley's Method.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2426/italian-meringue-buttercream-shirleys-method

Thanks for any ideas!

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:18am
post #2 of 5

FYI you'll get an even richer/slightly darker IMBC if you add cocoa powder instead/as well as melted chocolate. I always add my flavourings at the very end, after the last pat of butter is added. Do melt the chocolate and let it cool to barely warm-to-the-touch before adding it to your IMBC, so it doesn't melt your butter at all.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:59am
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much! Can you give me an idea on how much...how much cocoa powder and how much chocolate? Would you suggest semi-sweet, bittersweet...?
I'm very open to ideas (obviously!) and hate to ask so much but would also hate to waste my time and screw it up by adding or not adding enough!

Thanks for the help!

...and I love your Easy Bake Oven!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #4 of 5

You can add ganache too.. then you don't have to worry about letting it cool down. I'd leave out the orange extract too if you put that in. You can add almost equal parts of each and get a really rich dark chocolate icing. icon_smile.gif

I make ganache the night before and then add it in to SMBC (in my case, but it works with IMBC too). I almost always have ganache on hand so it's easy for me. icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:31am
post #5 of 5

About 1/4 - 1/3 cup of sifted dark cocoa powder + 2 - 4 ounces melted chocolate (bittersweet, yes) per pound of IMBC I'd think? I just eye it each time truthfully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%