In Desperate Need Of Help Now!

Baking By TheBaketress Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm by LeeBD

TheBaketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBaketress Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 20

ok so i am having some major issues right now and im not home or even in my home state to start with!!!! im from ny and am in FL at my in-laws making my cousins wedding cake for next weekend. the chocolate pudding recipe i had is GROSS!!!!! someone please help me out i need a good chocolate filling recipe asap... heading to the store now to get new ingredients (i hope)!!! the entire cake is chocolate! and it cannot have any kind of alcohol! i have done a search but no time right now!

19 replies
TheBaketress Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:00am
post #2 of 20

oh and if possible not have to be refrigerated!!!! (i have no room)

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 20

whipped ganache. Thats what i would use. Just one part cream and two parts chocolate.

TheBaketress Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:09am
post #4 of 20

whats the difference with the ganache i made to put on the outside under the fondant??? does that have to be refrigerated?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:10am
post #5 of 20

You can always thin the ganache if needed and FL has a lot of humidity and warmer temps on the way so make be sparing with the cream ratio to start.

TheBaketress Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:13am
post #6 of 20

too bad its super cold here... like between the 20s and 30s!!! so not kidding!!!! i couldve sworn whipped ganache needs to stay refrigerated!?! the wedding is not until sat and it has to be able to stay out till then...

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:23am
post #7 of 20

I just filled a chocolate cake with the whipped ganache and then covered it in ganache. It was great. The whipped ganache is mushy so I put a double circle of the outer ganache on the outer portion of the cake before I put the ganache in (I don't be able to explain it correctly, you know the dam you put around the filling so it doesn't squish out). Then i coated the cake in ganache and the filling didn't squish out at all. And it's so rich!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:43am
post #8 of 20

I know it is cold right now... the coldest we've seen in a while on The Treasure Coast. But we have our heat on 72° and so it's warm inside. What is the heater set on there? Too warm fro a cake to sit out all week and still taste good on the weekend. I am picky though I don't like old cake past day 3. Won't touch it let alone serve it to guests.

Bettinashoe I gotcha... a dam of hardening ganache(more of a hard truffle filling for chocolates) and the whipped soft and creamy stuff as filing. Sounds like a winner to me! thumbs_up.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #9 of 20

I use the same ganache as a filling as I use for the outside - it makes for quite a dense rich cake but is so yummy and definitely does not require refrigeration.

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:06am
post #10 of 20

I like dark chocolate espresso ganache. It's just enough different from chocolate cake or chocolate ganache that it stands out as a filling and not an icing. thumbs_up.gif

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:01pm
post #11 of 20

Dark Choc Expresso Ganache sounds nice, do you have the receipe you can give me?

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 20

I would think ganache needs to be refrigerated.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 20

I believe that because the cream is scalded before you add the chocolate it is OK to sit out. 'Til Saturday??? Sounds like a long time to me. Stale cake...ICK.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:52pm
post #14 of 20

What about a chocolate butter cream, that can sit out at room temp?
Just mix a little bit of your ganache in with the butter cream.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 20

..moving to Recipe Requests forum. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 20

..moving to Recipe Requests forum. icon_smile.gif

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #17 of 20

I make a ganache and instead of whipping it, I mix in confectioners sugar to a spreading consistancy. It's delicious and my most requested filling.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 20

TAKEN FROM" BAKING 911 DOT COM".... IT WON"T LET ME POST THE URL....

Question: Why doesn't ganache need refrigeration?
Answer: Because of its high content of sugar and fat. Micro-organisms need water to grow. When the sugar content is so high, the sugar binds the water in such a way that micro-organisms cannot utilize it. Technically its called "water activity control."

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #19 of 20

Using powdered sugar sounds really good, LeeBD. Do you simply make the ganache as you normally would with heavy cream and then add powdered sugar?

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #20 of 20

bettinashoe-yes i just follow ganache recipe. I use Ghirardelli 60% cacao chips. Let it cool to room temp and then mix in confectioners sugar to correct spreading consistancy. It's hard to resist right out of the bowl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%