Do You Charge Rental Fees For Stands?

Business By love2makecakes Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 4:00pm by Bluehue

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 12

So I am wondering how everyone charges for renting things such as cake stands and cupcake towers? In the past I have just charged equipment rentals that are refundable, but after looking at a few other cakers website I have noticed that they charge rental fees on the stands.

11 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 12

Most charge a rental fee with a security deposit. I usually seen this done with those silver cake stands.

love2makecakes Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 12

So they charge a fee to rent them and seperate deposit for return?

I guess I was thinking that if you were to charge a fee of lets say $100 the client would be wondering why they just dont go out and buy one themselves for that price?

Now if I charged $50 rental and $50 equipment deposit that is refundable that seems more reasonable.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 12

I charge 25.00 for my cupcake stands along with a refundable amount. I also charge 30.00 for my silver cake plateaus with an added refundable amount once they bring it back. I'm finding every little bit helps if you don't want to keep charging higher cake prices add these on and it kinda helps make up some of the difference.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 12

I charge $25 for my silver cake stand rentals. Plus a refundable deposit.

love2makecakes Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 12

I am with you debster - I sort of feel like if I were to have 4 customers rent the stand at $25 each then that would pay for the stand. If I only charge non refundable fees, then really I am just paying for it myself.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crlovescakes

So they charge a fee to rent them and seperate deposit for return?

I guess I was thinking that if you were to charge a fee of lets say $100 the client would be wondering why they just dont go out and buy one themselves for that price?

Now if I charged $50 rental and $50 equipment deposit that is refundable that seems more reasonable.

For example, those silver platues cost about $150, so I would have a refundable security deposit of $200. That should cover the total cost to me if lost or damaged. If it comes back fine, they get their money back. If trashed or lost, I order a new one with their money.

And yes, there is usually a rental fee of $50. Why would they pay the fee? Cause it's cheaper then buying one that they will never use again. I've seen party rental companies rent them for more, so they are getting rented. It's all about what look the bride is wanting to achieve. They will pay for it.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 12

I charge a small rental fee to use the equipment.

I also charge a refundable deposit (equal to the value of the equipment plus shipping) that must be made in cash. The client gets that back as long as the equipment is returned in the same condition.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:43am
post #9 of 12

if im making the wedding cake then they can use one of my stands for no extra charge. I feel thats an advantage or savings to them if they book with me. i do require a hefty deposit for replacement should it not be returned though. But if someone enquires about a stand and the cake is coming from somewhere else then i charge a rental and deposit fee.

sweetdesignsbyla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdesignsbyla Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 12

Unfortunately people just don't take into consideration that if you loan them something they have to return it in a timely manner... Therefore I always charge a minor rental fee $5 - $20 depending on the stand and attain a $50 deposit which is fully refunded if you return the stand withing 3 business days... It's business, not friendship, remember that and you will go far icon_smile.gif

love2makecakes Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 12

In the past I have just allowed people to use my stands, I have never not had anyone return them. I have also made all my stands to date. Now that I have ordered a pretty expensive stand I have now started asking for a deposit that will cover the cost of replacement and shipping. I really do not want to take the chance of someone not returning it.

As far as a small rental fee, I think that seems fair... I have to clean the stands, store the stands and that takes time, money and space for having them available for clients to use. I think I may be doing this as well.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 12

Sure do -
Deposit and hire fee.

They damage - no refund.
No damage - full refund.

Hire fee covers wear and tear and cleaning when you get it back home.

No different to hiring a suit/car/ or church hall.

Sadly, some people don't respect your things as you do - but if there is money involved - they just might think twice.

Bluehue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%