Black Candy Melts

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm by LoriMc

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know how to make chocolate candy melts black? I dont' think you can put gel food coloring into the candy melts b/c I think it would seize up. Does anyone have any advice on how to color candy melts???

6 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 7

Look for an oil based colouring for candy making.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 7

You can buy them precolored too.

Depending on what you need them for, you may be able to use the dark chocolate candy melts. They are very dark and will look black in some cases.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 7

Actually you can use gel colors in candy melts if you use flo-coat. I'd start with a dark chocolate candy melt and the Americolor super-black with the flo-coat and you shouldn't have a problem. http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=flo-coat&searchimage.x=4&searchimage.y=12

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 7

Although it's just as expensive to use the flo-coat as it would be to buy the black oil based coloring - I've tried it icon_smile.gif

dream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 7
LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 7

I don't know how much you need but I buy the black CK brand candy writers. You just stick the tube in a glass of warm water and they soften up. Saves on mess bigtime! The 2 oz tubes are about $1.40 each. I mainly use them to put bows together and glue things onto cakes.

Another advantage is there is no allergy warning on the tubes since they are not processed on machines like the candy melts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%