How Do I Make This Cupcake?

Baking By JuneBugBaby Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 4:03am by JustToEatCake

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 11

I am having a cupcake party for my daughters 1st birthday next month and I LOVE these cupcakes! First I need to know how to make the swirl... is it just a coupler? Also how do you dip the cupcake in the colored sugar and keep the shape? Do I put them in the fridge to harden? Can I use my BC icing for these? Thanks for the help. I've not made a bunch of cupcakes.... Mostly a cake maker! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 11

those are darling cupcakes!!!!

I would think that you would use the coupler on these !! I would have a cup of the sugar handy and then dip the tops in gently..

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 11

The swirls are made with round pastry tips, either sizes 16MM or 18MM depending how big your cupcakes are...a coupler wont work that good because if I'm not wrong they all have like a dent on one side so your buttercream or frosting wont come out with a perfect round tube

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 11

You can dip the tops into the sugar, as mcdonald said, or you can just sprinkle it on, then turn it over and let the excess fall off.

Do NOT put them in the frig! Condensation will cause the sugar to melt and make a mess on your cupcakes!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 11

I have a large tip that is round that makes that shape/look. I don't know the number off hand but they do make is large like the 1M one.

I would ice the cake then roll it in the colored sugar.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 11

If you don't have a round tip the right size, just use a disposable piping bag and cut the pointed end off.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 11

Like someone else said, I would pour the sanding sugar on top rather than dipping because I'd be scared of ruining the tops, too. Do it how you would glitter something. Pour the sugar on top then shake off the excess.

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 11

they do make couplers without the "dent" (it's a opening of sorts) - but that likely wouldn't give you a large enough swirl. i'd recommend a large round tip (can't remember what numbers I have off hand) - but they're larger than the coupler opening...

have fun!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 11

here's the tip you're looking for it's a 1A tip!

I've also just used a piping bag with a big hole cut at the end too, the tip does give a nicer look though

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 11

Yep...the Wilton 1A tip. I just used it on Wednesday this week to make these kinds of swirls on some cupcakes.

I would dip the cupcakes in the sugar for a heavier and more even coverage. You don't have to worry about your buttercream keeping its shape as long as it's stiff enough. Any time you refrigerate cakes or cupcakes it tends to draw moisture OUT and makes them a bit dry so avoid the fridge if possible.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:03am
post #11 of 11

Check out this thread the small ones are Wilton 1M and 6B and I believe that CC was made with a closed star tip because the grooves are so defined.

Quote by @%username% on %date%