Upright Decoration On Buttercream Cake

Decorating By mckaren Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm by tastyart

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:56am
post #1 of 5

How can I attach a gumpaste plaque to the top of a buttercream covered cake and have it last a 2 hour journey to it's new home?

My niece wants 3 hearts - 2 large, 1 small arranged to look like a flat bow with birthday message on them - standing up on a chocolate buttercream cake. Usually I cover cakes with fondant and I would just use a little blob of fondant behind to secure but I can't do that this time can i? I don't think it would stick well enough to survive a 2 hour car journey.

My sil is picking the cake up and taking it back with her and there's no way she can put the plaque on without breaking it!! icon_rolleyes.gif

4 replies
mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 9:54am
post #2 of 5

I think I've sorted out the problem - change the design!!

Along with this triple heart plaque she wants an ipod with earphones and piped musical notes on the top of the cake. I've decided to excercise a little artistic license and do a wire topper like this but with hearts and pipe or paint musical notes and her age onto the hearts. Her happy birthday message can go on the ipod screen which was originally going to be blank.

I'm having a conversation with myself!! icon_redface.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:56am
post #3 of 5

Sounds like a plan to me. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 5

Looks really great!

p.s. I have lots of those kinds of conversations icon_smile.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 5

Sounds good to me. It's good to know that I'm not the only one that talks to myself. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%