Gloves To Protect Small Adult Hands From Hot Sugar?

Sugar Work By kimberlychapman Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 5:16am by kimberlychapman

kimberlychapman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlychapman Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #1 of 5

Okay, I give up, these blisters suck!

What gloves do you love for working with hot sugar, particularly pulling/blowing?

I've tried a few types and all are far, far too big, with at least half an inch hanging off the ends of my fingers getting all jammed up and wrecking everything.

And can you just use any rubber glove and get some heat protection? Are there ones that will melt and make things worse?

I am definitely willing to spend more on higher-quality, multi-use, washable gloves rather than disposable, but I need to know that they fit first because the ones I've tried so far don't.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:00am
post #2 of 5

I have very small hands. I do several things to prevent blisters when working with pulled sugar.

First, I paint "liquid skin" on the areas of my fingers & hands most prone to blisters. I allow it to dry well and then apply waterproof bandaids. I have a pair of cheap, all cotton gloves used for handling chocolates that I have washed and dried in the dryer to get them to shrink as small as possible. I put those on and then put on a pair of small powder-free latex gloves.

I find this method allows me plenty of flexibility in my fingers and hands and I never get blisters anymore. The cotton gloves really protect me from the heat and they take up the excess of the latex gloves.

HTH
Rae

kimberlychapman Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 5:05am
post #3 of 5

Ah, I hadn't thought of using cotton under latex! That's a great tip, thanks!

Can I buy just any latex gloves or do some have higher or lower heat resistance?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #4 of 5

You can buy varying thicknesses of latex gloves.

I find that the thinner ones give the most flexibility for working with sugar and I prefer that. Just make sure that what you use is powder free. If not, the powder contaminates the sugar or isomalt and makes it cloudy & grainy.

It's really the cotton that gives you the most insulation.

Rae

kimberlychapman Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 5:16am
post #5 of 5

Awesome, I'll pick some up on my next trip to Target, and I already have cotton gloves for chocolate. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%