Cake For Cake Balls Too Moist

Decorating By SugarNSpiceDiva Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm by deMuralist

SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:07am
post #1 of 5

Hi all!

I have a question about some cake balls I am making. They are chocolate with chocolate icing infused with amaretto.

Well I was having DH test the cake to determine if theere was enough amaretto. He kept saying no (lol, alcoholic icon_rolleyes.gif j/k). Well by the time I had added about 4 shots in, I realized I had made a big mistake. Now the cake is too moist and won't even roll into a ball. icon_mad.gif

I have it in the freezer right now to try to stiffen it up, but does anyone have any other successful methods?

I really don't want to have to throw out a whole batch and start over. icon_sad.gif

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 5

Sounds like the best way to salvage the batch you're working on is to add more cake.

I never mix icing into my cake balls. I first combine the flavoring (amaretto, e.g.) into the crumbled cake, then add melted chocolate to bind. The chocolate seizes from the moisture in the cake, making it easy to roll into a tight ball. Then dip!

SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:48am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Sounds like the best way to salvage the batch you're working on is to add more cake.

I never mix icing into my cake balls. I first combine the flavoring (amaretto, e.g.) into the crumbled cake, then add melted chocolate to bind. The chocolate seizes from the moisture in the cake, making it easy to roll into a tight ball. Then dip!

Thats a good idea! I never thought to do that. The first time I made cake balls, I did that by accident. I didn't realize it wasn't possible to mix the liquor with the dipping chocolate icon_redface.gif .

I have some more cake in the freezer from a cake I make the other day. It's chocolate but not the same kind as the one the cake balls are made of. Will that affect the taste badly?

Thank you for your help Ms. Diane!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 5

I can't imagine how two kinds of chocolate could be BAD! Go for it! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 5

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6668656-.html#6668656

this is the link to a great cake ball forum.

I would add more cake. If there is too much moisture the cake balls will likely leak, not pretty.

I think the added type of chocolate will add complexity to the flavor and be quite good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%