How To Attach Light To Helmet

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 2:43pm by cakesrock

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi: I am making a 3D caving helmet cake. I used a 10 inch round stacked under a 1/2 soccer ball pan and carved. The helmet looks sort of suspended on the base, if that makes sense.
Anyway, I am looking for ideas on the best way to attach the light.
I was thinking about making it gum tex/fondant, drying, hollowing out a bit, adding in an LED light, covering with a gelatin sheet and inserting with a dowel.

Would this hold, considering the size? Any other suggestions on how to attach the light would be appreciated!

Here's what the helmet looks like:

http://abercavers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/helmet.jpg

TIA icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 5

if dowel is long enough to go well into cake, should hold just fine.

just be sure to hollow it out as much as possible to keep it light.

personally, I form reflector bowl as thin sheet over a something (miniball pan? paperweight?) separately and then add the sides as on continuous band to make it extra hollow.

question: what kind/size of LED and where will the battery be? may have to run wires to battery hidden under cake to keep the weight down.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 12:43am
post #3 of 5

Do you have these LED tealights? They look like the ones you would use in a teastove. If yes i would make a sort of gumpaste box, make sure the tealight will sit in the box part, so mold it around it, let dry. Make a box lid (the black ring with gelatine cover) to fit the box but make it removable. Glue and dowel the box part onto the cake. Once at the location, switch on the tealight (I think they burn for around 10 hrs) , place inside box and close the box. Those things are light so it should hold up if the gumpaste "box" is strong enough. I just would not move the completed cake anymore. Sounds like fun, please post pics

cakesrock Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 5

Hi: The LED lights are "dot-it" ones - built in battery - supposed to burn 100 hours...though, I'm not sure they last quite that long. 24 or so will do me, as it has to be driven out of town for the b-day party.
I ended up making more of fondant/gumpaste rim for the light, so it's not as heavy. Hope it will hold - maybe I"ll make an indent for it to fit into and use some melted choc or RI to hold. Dowel no longer necessary.
I"ll post when it's done.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 5

Here is the finished (??) product. Certainly not my best work icon_sad.gif , - looks more bike than caving helmet and it's not really the exact shape I was aiming for , but hey, it's cake..And I was willing to live with it until my DH (who is thankfully always very honest) wondered what the indents on top of the helmet were (and alluded to it really being an odd looking helmet). They are supposed to be the air holes. icon_surprised.gif

Now I'm wondering do I cut them out or paint them so they look more like air holes?! The cake is due in a couple of hours, so I have so time. But then I'm committed and if I mess it up, then it's too late....

I don't think these people are very picky. They live out of town (my friend is driving out for the party) and were thrilled that I could make a gluten-free helmet that could light up.
But it's me that has an issue now...I think it will look better if cut out. I'm torn....

I would appreciate any advice! icon_smile.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%