Help!!! Red Elmo

Decorating By sherylshirley Updated 9 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm by sherylshirley

sherylshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherylshirley Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 8

I am making an elmo cake and the red is not red enough no matter how much I use. I am making it with buttercream but photos ive seen all say royal. Does that make a difference in deepness of red color...buttercream vs royal? My red is just very light and already used 2 small jars. What about airbrush color mixed with buttercream? I dont want to waste any more ingredients so Im turning to the people I trust and know will have an answer. Please Help!!!

7 replies
in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 8

I made an Elmo in bc (in my photos) and the only way I could get a good red color was to add the coloring (wilton no taste and wilton red red) to the creamed shortening/butter before the I added the ps. I did end up using about 5 or six jars of color and the flavor was really fine and the color stayed true even on the left over bc that I froze and then used on another cake. Black is the same way, if I add after the ps it is awful but before the ps it is great. hth

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 8

I know it doesn't necessarily taste the best, but I noticed in Wally World last night that they have big ol' tubs of bright red decorator frosting. If desperate, you could always try that - if you have access!

sherylshirley Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you to both that replied I will try adding red to the shortening and I will also look online for red decorators frosting.
I just tried red liquid food color and it is very red, but not sure how it will hold up. It is much softer since I added more liquid, so wondering if I could add the liquid red to the shortening as well before the ps if that would work.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 8

I'm not sure about the liquid but good luck and let us know how it turns out.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 8

I made Elmo and use the wilton color instructions...

http://www.wilton.com/downloads/paninstructions/2105-3461ElmoFace.pdf

Wilton no taste red and orange....see link.

Here's mine...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1288500

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 8

You do have to use a ton of it, and it darkens over time.

sherylshirley Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for the tips 2cakes. I need to go out and buy more red and orange. Have never seen wilton orange at my store. Would yellow owrk since red and yellow make orange? I guess I could experiment. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%