Fondant Cutouts On Buttercream

Decorating By southernswthrt Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 2:29am by marzipandoll

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:50am
post #1 of 6

Making my first cake with fondant cutouts on buttercream icing...I've never worked with fondant before and have lots of questions. Do you need to let the cutouts dry before putting them on a cake? Do you need to remove them from the cake before serving? I've never done anything with fondant, so any advice is appreciated...TIA

5 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 1:26am
post #2 of 6

Ok well it's depending on the decoration how long you let them dry. So say if you want to put a piece of fondant on the side that has to bend with a round cake then let it dry just a bit so it's not so floppy when you pick it up but that it is still bendable enough to curve with the cake.

If you can doing flat pieces on the cake then you might want to let the pieces harden a bit more so they are more stable to pick up and put on.

To attach them onto the cake all you need is a little bit of buttercream on the back of them to attach.

No you don't need to remove the decorations that are stuck on unless u have to for some reason, otherwise they are fine to eat with the buttercream

HTH icon_smile.gif

Frenchie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frenchie Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 7:38am
post #3 of 6

If doing fondant cutouts on a Swiss Meringue-iced cake, can the whole cake be refrigerated? I am doing a cake with perishable fillings, but I am worried about the fondant color running or worse, dissolving.

Can anyone please help?

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 6

If it's something you're just attaching to the sides, just stick it on after it has set a few minutes-long enough so it won't stretch when you pick it up.

If you plan to make something that will stand up or apart from the cake, it should dry several days before putting it on the cake.

You can attach the fondant to the buttercream by moistening the back of the fondant with a little water.

HTH. Once you have tried fondant, you'll see just how versatile it can be. Good luck.

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the replies. I still wonder about cutting the cake...do the cutouts cut easily or does the knife get "caught" on the fondant?

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:29am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernswthrt

Thanks for the replies. I still wonder about cutting the cake...do the cutouts cut easily or does the knife get "caught" on the fondant?

Fondant does get harder and if the whole cake is not covered with it, will get caught on the knife, so I'd take it off, but you can still eat it, if you want. Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%