Chocolate Candy Clay Or Chocolate Fondant?

Decorating By CakeMakar Updated 22 Feb 2014 , 7:41pm by bluebell8111

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 10

I've been asked to do a Reese's Cup themed cake.
Chocolate fondant tastes like tootsie rolls, not really chocolate-y like a Reese cup. Can you cover a cake in candy clay? What does it taste like?
Perhaps I'd be better trying a chocolate wrap?
Thanks!

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 10

What about ganache? It is very chocolatey?

CakeMakar Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:12am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

What about ganache? It is very chocolatey?

Ganache would be a great flavor, but not for forming the Reese's cup shape. icon_sad.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 1:14am
post #4 of 10

..moving to Cake Ideas. icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 10

Are you making the sides of the cake "corrugated" like the sides of a Reese's? If so, chocolate clay would work well standing up around the sides. If you want to just cover the cake with chocolatey-chocolate flavor, then I'd go with ganache. Clay isn't elastic like fondant and doesn't really stretch and round down over a cake - it works better applied in panels. Does that kinda make sense?

CakeMakar Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:26am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

Are you making the sides of the cake "corrugated" like the sides of a Reese's? If so, chocolate clay would work well standing up around the sides. If you want to just cover the cake with chocolatey-chocolate flavor, then I'd go with ganache. Clay isn't elastic like fondant and doesn't really stretch and round down over a cake - it works better applied in panels. Does that kinda make sense?

Yes, that helps a lot thanks. I'm going for the look of the candy itself.
How does it taste?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:00am
post #7 of 10

candy clay tastes pretty good - it mostly depends on the chocolate or melts you use. If you use "chocolate" candy melts it will probably taste like a tootsie roll, but if you use actual chocolate it will taste more chocolatey! It may not "stretch" like fondant, but I have seen a lot of the professional cake decorators on tv use it to cover cakes, so I think it would probably be the best thing to use for what you are wanting! You have to give it some time to harden, and your room temp shouldn't be too warm.

CakeMakar Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 5:12am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the details!

travelgirlut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelgirlut Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 10

I made a Reese's cake for my hubby and wrapped the outside in chocolate. I melted semi-sweet chocolate chips and spread them in a thin layer on a piece of waxed paper that I had cut to the length of the circumference of the cake (I actually halved it since it was way to long to go all the way around). Then once the chocolate had set enough to not run but was still soft i wrapped it around the cake then peeled off the waxed paper. I used ganache to fill in the top. I hope that all makes sense. Here's a pic of it:

bluebell8111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluebell8111 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 10

AHi Amanda

May I ask how you created that kind of affect round hate side of the cake please. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%