Baking!

Decorating By staciecakes_ Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 7:17pm by cylstrial

staciecakes_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staciecakes_ Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 7

Not sure what subject this falls under. I just purchased the Fat Daddio's 2inch 11x14 sheet cake pan. I use the basic yellow cake recipe that you find on this site. I doubled it and tried the same recipe in the same pan 3 times. The first time I baked it on Convection and it overcooked after 50 minutes. 40-45 minutes the center wasn't done. I then tried standard bake and the center wasn't finished until after 65 minutes. The only problem is the it was overcooked on the side again. I do use two flower nails for heat conduction. The strips just don't work for me. Is it the pans? It seems when I used the Wilton pan at the same exact size, that I had no problem over cooking the sides and under cooking the center. I choose to use the pro pan because it has smooth edges and sharper corners. Somehow the heat in these pans are not evenly baking. The flower nails should be alleviating that problem.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. Or advise.

6 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 7

Not totally sure, but maybe you need to bake at a different temp. I also use the cake strip to help with the edges. Why don't they work for you?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 7

too hot of an oven lower the temp.

Mike

staciecakes_ Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 7

I did forget to mention that I do bake at 325. The cake strips would just dry out and it would still create a dome. The flower nails baked it evenly across. I'm a cake strip jinx. lol. I love this recipe to much to change it. When it comes out perfect it's an awesome cake, especially when crumb coating it.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 7

If the outside is done before the middle, oven is to hot.

Mike

staciecakes_ Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 7

That would be my guess too! It's at 325 though. I know it has a higher BTU output than a standard kitchen oven. Maybe I should try it at 300. Too late today. I'm going to have to go with this cake now. Its for my son's birthday party luckily. I don't think a bunch of 12 years olds are going to tell the difference since they never finish the whole piece. I wish Fat Daddio's had a temp chart like wilton does.

Thank again

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavendergoddess

That would be my guess too! It's at 325 though. I know it has a higher BTU output than a standard kitchen oven. Maybe I should try it at 300. Too late today. I'm going to have to go with this cake now. Its for my son's birthday party luckily. I don't think a bunch of 12 years olds are going to tell the difference since they never finish the whole piece. I wish Fat Daddio's had a temp chart like wilton does.

Thank again

You could probably email Fat Daddio's and see what they recommend. But it sounds like maybe you should check the temperature of your oven with a thermometer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%