How Do I Make All These Fillings....help!

Decorating By JawdroppingCakes Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm by sadsmile

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 23

I had a bridal consultation yesterday and was asked if I could make mandarin filling, strawberry filling, peach filling, raspberry filling and mango filling. She wants them all to be fresh and wants pieces of the fruit in the filling. She wants to pair it all with white cake and a creamy buttercream. I have the strawberry filling figured out already but I can not for the life of me figure out how to make the others. Does any one have any suggestions. Thanks!

22 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 23

Fresh mandarin orange puree/chopped-folded into BC. Same with the peaches. Same with the raspberries, OR use a raspberry preserve. Mango---I do this all the time. Cook down coarse chopped mangoes, mix with a mango preserve. Fold into your BC recipe. Now, I use SMBC which takes all things very well, I don't know how this works with shortening based BC, sounds icky to me. But it is a very simple process either way.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 23

You DO NOT make all those fillings, unless she is about to pay for them. And she doesn't get to choose what she wants to try, unless she is about to pay for them. You pick 3 or 4 cake flavors and maybe 3 or 4 fillings, 4 fillings if your feeling generous. This is not a buffet. This is a tasting. If she likes your cakes then she likes they way you bake and should like anything else you bake.

_Jamie_ Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 23

Oh this is for a tasting? Hmmmmm. Yeah, not unless it's paid for. I didn't catch that. I would do stuff like this for an order OR for a group tasting. Yikes.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 23

Hmmm. Could you make a large batch generic mousse of say cream cheese, whipped cream and vanilla pudding, then add preserves or purees of each fruit and small pieces of cut up fruit for each one to add to the plain mousse? I'm not sure about the mango as I have never used it before in my life...

_Jamie_ Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvallee

Hmmm. Could you make a large batch generic mousse of say cream cheese, whipped cream and vanilla pudding, then add preserves or purees of each fruit and small pieces of cut up fruit for each one to add to the plain mousse? I'm not sure about the mango as I have never used it before in my life...

Well that's exactly what I described, just a different base. I forget sometimes I make all this stuff from scratch and wouldn't put myself through that much work for one couple unless I was being for it, maybe it's easier to mix and match with puddings and flavor oils.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 23

Yea this is for a cake tasting that she is paying for. She is sticking to the whole cake being vanilla so she wants three different fillings for the tiers. She for sure wants strawberry but is unsure of the others but told me she wants fresh fruit fillings that are not mixed with bc's. she wants fresh because she wants some of the tartness of the fruit to cut the sweetness of the cake.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 23

So let me throw this at you, what would you have spent and how mcuh time would you have taken to make all these fillings for one tasting? Then add the actual buttercream and cake cost and time. Now how much is that? And this is for a tasting for one person. Now how much is the cake they are trying to buy? Do you know their budget? Now, the cost that you have just put into the elaborate tasting, with real fruit, and mangoes and raspberries ain't cheap, for one couple, how mcuh has that taken out of your profits for that cake? Just something I want you to think about it.There is a reason why people have set flavors to their tastings. It's a business expense and we all want to keep our business expneses low. Just a thought.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawdroppingCakes

Yea this is for a cake tasting that she is paying for. She is sticking to the whole cake being vanilla so she wants three different fillings for the tiers. She for sure wants strawberry but is unsure of the others but told me she wants fresh fruit fillings that are not mixed with bc's. she wants fresh because she wants some of the tartness of the fruit to cut the sweetness of the cake.

Okay, so I just saw your post. And I have to ask, how much is she paying for this tasting, cause she wants straight up fruit. I hope it's at least a $100 bucks. Now for the fruit, you can make purees and fruit curds. A puress is like a really thick jelly, but not jelly. It's the only way I can describe it. That will defiently keep the flavor of the fruits, as well as have the fruit pirces she's looking for. And fruit curds are like a fruit custartd, but all you get it a pure fruit taste, not a custard fruit taste. HTH.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 23

The cake will be a simple square 4 tier cake with a bouquet of roses on the top that I will make out of gumpaste. The cake will feed 400 people and I have quoted her $1250. and she has ok'd it and left a down payment and she is paying for the tasting as well. The time to make these doesn't bother me since I'm a stay at home mom but all my daughters are in school so I'm basically home alone til they get home...lol.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 23

I'm a stay at home mom as well and my time is ALWAYS of value, cause my time is MY time. icon_wink.gif

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 23

This is what I do I whipp pastry pride then I put a layer of PP and then I put a layer of the fruit like fresh strawberries, if if other than strawberry I use the cans like pineapple (my favorite), mango peach etc.just drain them and cut it in peaces. HTH

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 23

i would make a batch of smbc and then add the fruit, extracts, etc. i hope she is paying you well for this tasting...

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 23

JawDroppingCakes - if you go to ladycakes.com - there is a section there for tons of recipes for different fillings. I am sure you will be able to find some there that you could even scale down, that way you don't have a bunch of left overs.

I personally feel it is up to you and your client on how much (or if you so choose, not to charge) for your tasting. That isn't what you inquired about! icon_wink.gif Good luck wth finding the recipes you need.

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #15 of 23

I buy sleeve fillings from a local bakery supply. They have many different flavors. I usually just buy the pineapple filling and add drained crushed pineapple. It cuts a lot of the sweetness of the glaze/pineapple sleeve filling and tastes great. I know they have peach, raspberry, and a few others. I haven't tried those though. They are very inexpensive (about $2-$3 a sleeve). Then you could add in additional fresh fruit to them. I'm not too sure about mandarin filling but this is how I make mine. The one I make is just canned mandarins with drained crushed pinapple. I put a thin layer of cream filling (I use whip n top, not buttercream), then layer it with mandarines (cut up a little) and crushed pineapple. Then I sprinkle it with pecans. Everyone seams to love this one. I then take a piping bag with more whip n top and drizzle it on the top. It acts as a glue so that when the cake is cut it the top won't topple over. I buy these sleeves at Mr. Bakery in Weslaco. I know a store in downtown McAllen carries them too but they double the price. Hope this helps!

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #16 of 23

I buy sleeve fillings from a local bakery supply. They have many different flavors. I usually just buy the pineapple filling and add drained crushed pineapple. It cuts a lot of the sweetness of the glaze/pineapple sleeve filling and tastes great. I know they have peach, raspberry, and a few others. I haven't tried those though. They are very inexpensive (about $2-$3 a sleeve). Then you could add in additional fresh fruit to them. I'm not too sure about mandarin filling but this is how I make mine. The one I make is just canned mandarins with drained crushed pinapple. I put a thin layer of cream filling (I use whip n top, not buttercream), then layer it with mandarines (cut up a little) and crushed pineapple. Then I sprinkle it with pecans. Everyone seams to love this one. I then take a piping bag with more whip n top and drizzle it on the top. It acts as a glue so that when the cake is cut it the top won't topple over. I buy these sleeves at Mr. Bakery in Weslaco. I know a store in downtown McAllen carries them too but they double the price. Hope this helps!

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

JawDroppingCakes - if you go to ladycakes.com - there is a section there for tons of recipes for different fillings. I am sure you will be able to find some there that you could even scale down, that way you don't have a bunch of left overs.

I personally feel it is up to you and your client on how much (or if you so choose, not to charge) for your tasting. That isn't what you inquired about! icon_wink.gif Good luck wth finding the recipes you need.

So we shouldn't give her any additional information to protect herself or cover all bases and given in her best interest. How helpful...

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

So we shouldn't give her any additional information to protect herself or cover all bases and given in her best interest. How helpful...

Perhaps OP had all her bases covered and was/is fine with her arrangement and didn't feel she needed to ask any questions about her agreement/payment with her bride. She only asked for help with fillings not financing/time management. For all we know the bride was paying 5000.00 for a 3 layer cake but OP may feel what the bride is paying isn't our business.

Having said that I do understand that those who have done something like making fresh fillings are reacting to the work and the fact that they believe that OP may not understand of this undertaking, however, OP didn't ask for that just help with fillings. IMHO and I don't know anything about anything but I do think it's best to stick with the topic. Everyone was trying to be helpful.

Would the bride go for cream cheese fruit filling? Less sweet that normal BC?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #19 of 23

I make all my fruit fillings basically the same way (except for that darn raspberyy I bought preserves for that).
Whole fruit, choped/pureed, sugar and a bit of water ,simmer and stir in cornstarch.
What you are left with is a thick chunky fruit mixture.
Don't know it this an actual method but it's how I've always done it.
I figured it works for gravy why not fruit.
Works with pineapple, strawberry, mango, orange,apple,blueberry and pear, I've yet to try it with other fruits.
For citrus (lemon,lime and grape fruit) I make a curd, I have a recipe if you need it.
You can always add extracts and flavoring as well.
When the fruit is not in season you can use frozen.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #20 of 23

I make my fillings all pretty much the same way. I puree my berries, for raspberry i use frozen berries Then i use gelatin to thicken just add one packet of plain gelatin to 2 cups pureed fruit, heat until gelatin is dissolved.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:54pm
post #21 of 23

For a cake tasting: 3 flavors MAX. None of this 5 and 6 flavors stuff. You don't need to kill yourself making 6 flavors of filling for a tasting that may not even produce an order.

Check the gourmet section of your supermarket for all-natural preserves. There are fantastic flavors like mango, pineapple, peach, mixed berry, etc. Melt down the raspberry preserve and run through a sifter or seive to get the seeds out. Makes a wonderful filling. Any of these fruit preserves make great fillings and you can add some additional flavor (cinnamon, flavored liquers, etc.) or fresh fruit to customize the fillings a bit more.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!

JawdroppingCakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #22 of 23

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. With all this info I'm sure I can put something together that will be both easy and not too much work and left overs can be eaten by my daughters with their pancakes....lol

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #23 of 23

It sounds delish, both the cake and your daughters pancakes! LOL(Before you spend more money, both yours and the Brides it may be wise to see if the venue will accept a cake from a stay at home mom. Texas is very strict and many Venues demand to see licencing and insurance.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%