Life Size Electric Guitar Cookie Help

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm by DianeLM

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:03am
post #1 of 7

ok, so my dads birthday is coming up. And I want to make him something extra special.

So this is what I thought up.

I giant cookie, in the shape of a guitar. But not just lay down, I want to stand it up like its in a guitar stand.

Now I was thinking I needed to do it in peices. And I will do electric, cuz of the thickness.
But how do you think I could puill this off? I would really like to use sugar cookie (his fav).

TIA

6 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:27am
post #2 of 7

Find a clipart of your guitar. Print it out the size you want, then trim. Use a good firm cookie recipe, like NFSC. Roll dough 1/2" thick. Use template and handcut shape. Bake in low oven (300F-325F), watching carefully for it to start browning. Let rest on tray for a minute, then remove to cool.
Cut a template for 90 degree triangle piece, one side needs to be tall enough to support guitar, other side needs to be just long enough to stablilize standing guitar. Cut this piece out of dough and cook.
Decorate guitar. Let dry well. Then attach support piece to back, using choc melts or royal icing.

HTH

after decorating and drying, you may need to add support behind the neck. use melts to attach skewers or popcicle sticks to back side.

motherofgrace Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:33am
post #3 of 7

thanks!

I should be more clear, I want this to be almost life size.... a complete replica of his guitar.

So when he see's it, it looks like his guitar is sitting there on the table

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:46am
post #4 of 7

Guess you could use the Xerox at work, and make copies of your Dad's guitar (in sections). icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:48am
post #5 of 7

ok!
(PS thanks for fixing the name!)

Im mostly worried about how to stick the pieces together, and make it stable enough to stand.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:57am
post #6 of 7

Could you cut foam core in the guitar shape and use that as a backing. (Just an idea.)

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 7

I would start with one whole template. Divide it into managable cookie pieces. But, instead of a straight line to divide the pieces, cut a tongue and groove as in the picture here:

http://rabbitwoodworks.com/images/Joinery/tongue-and-groove-edges.jpg

When the cookies come out of the oven, immediately place the template over them and trim any spreading. That way, they'll fit together perfectly.

I would also reinforce the back of the guitar with a strip of foamboard glued on with royal icing.

However you do this, it will be HEAVY. Be sure you have really good support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%