Do You Ever Just Feel Maybe You Aren't So Good?

Business By Kitagrl Updated 9 Jan 2010 , 5:09am by Sugarflowers

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #1 of 59

So sometimes I get to feeling like "Wow my business is growing and my skills are growing, I can really compete with the bigger decorators"....then I have some weekends when I feel like my cakes stink and my work looks amateurish, and I'll never get anywhere with such ugly cakes and how can I charge so much for them...*sigh*

(Can you tell I had a bad cake night????)

Sometimes I don't know if its really my skills that are limited, or that people are ordering cakes that aren't very "showy" or what... and I know people look at my pix and say "Your pix look great" but I've been doing this 10 years and I just want to be awesome (not in a proud way, just in a perfectionist way, want to continue to learn and grow....there are tons of people on here who do cakes just like mine after only maybe 2 years of experience...haha!). And sometimes I just feel like I'm backsliding. Does anyone else feel this way?

By the way, I hope nobody else orders a laptop cake. thumbsdown.gif (As I said...bad cake night...)

58 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:28am
post #2 of 59

Bad cake nights happen. Your cakes are lovely, so you have no reason to worry.

Every once and a while I'll get the feeling that I can play with the big leagues too, but then I see some amazing cakes here on CC and I'm back to feeling like a newbie again.

I try to use those feelings to make myself do better on the next cake. doesn't always work, but that's what I try to do icon_lol.gif

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:32am
post #3 of 59

Awwww ((((hugs)))) your cakes are amazing and you are a great decorator, we all have bad days.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:36am
post #4 of 59

Sometimes I feel that way. I can't pipe for beans but my fondant work is better, and more fun for me to do. But I practice and focus on what I can do. Some things I just stay away from because it's a lost cause. I don't sweat it though, hey, even Eddie Van Halen can't finger pick to save his life! icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #5 of 59

every time I look at the results icon_sad.gif

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:40am
post #6 of 59

I feel like this all the time when I do something - I think "that looks so homemade" (not custom!) maybe I shouldn't be charging what I'm charging.... then I looked at your cakes and wonder if I ever have a chance to be that talented! Your cakes are beautiful! Just go back and look at the great work you've done - and really who orders a laptop cake??? icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:45am
post #7 of 59

You guys are all so sweet...and checking out your photos you all do GREAT WORK too!!!!

And I sure HOPE nobody else orders a laptop cake. YUCK. I have such a difficult time doing cakes that require perfect lines, like computers, video games, cars, or any other man-type electronic things. I have a hard time doing perfectly straight cakes and so I often depend on design to cover up any mistakes...but some of those electronic type cakes are just plain and there's nothing to cover up anything! icon_smile.gif

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:49am
post #8 of 59

First of all - I just looked at your cakes... they are WONDERFUL! You do an excellent job. I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. I mean it!

And secondly don't you wish you could tell people which cake you're going to make for them? Sometimes they just pick ones that really just don't turn you on... just not as much fun.

Hugs

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #9 of 59

Wow! Thanks for the open invitation to whine that I seldom get comments on my cakes which makes me feel like they must SUCK! I've been contemplating posting one of those threads..."oh, this cake sucks. please tell me I'm wrong."

Anyway, your cakes are amazing and you know it! But, there are some times when things don't work out. Just watch any of the cake shows!

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

Wow! Thanks for the open invitation to whine that I seldom get comments on my cakes which makes me feel like they must SUCK! I've been contemplating posting one of those threads..."oh, this cake sucks. please tell me I'm wrong."

Anyway, your cakes are amazing and you know it! But, there are some times when things don't work out. Just watch any of the cake shows!

Don't worry, I think the site is sooo large that there are alot of really great cakes that do not get commented on. Some of my most proud-of accomplishments have been little noticed here..haha...but its okay...as long as I am happy with it (which is rare) that's what I care about. LOL.

I guess sometimes I just wish I could get more orders that would give me a chance to shine in what I do best (probably tiered fondant cakes) instead of cakes that are difficult to do neatly, and photos I don't want to use on my website. The more of the "hard to make look nice" photos I get, the more cruddy I feel about my work. Tonight I stepped back and looked at my cake and thought "Wow that cake does not LOOK like I spent hours of frustration on it!!! It looks like I stood back and threw stuff on it!!!!"

Its nice to know others feel this way though! The more people whine, the better I"ll feel that I'm not alone. thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:02am
post #11 of 59

I was telling someone too...that sometimes I get frustrated with all the small orders I get (little 3D ones, little two tiered ones) and wish so much to get more wedding orders. I guess sometimes I get an attitude, like "Here I am doing an ugly cake for a guy's birthday and I could be making more money doing beautiful tiers." icon_lol.gif

I"ll get over it! haha. Thanks so much for listening! icon_redface.gif

audree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audree Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:04am
post #12 of 59

I know exactly how you feel--been there! I have to agree with everyone, your cakes are lovely. I love your "quilted cake"! I have always wished I had the patience to make a quilt, maybe I could just make a cake to look like one!

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #13 of 59

I'm sorry you had a rough night, Kitagrl. Step back and take a deep breath.

Your cakes are wonderful! It's easy to see your progress in the beginning because you learn big things, like levelling a cake or how to get your icing smooth. When you've been doing things for a long time your improvements are harder to see because they are about precision. Maybe you can make a plan to work on a particular skill for 15-20 minutes a day, (so you can feel like you are progressing towards perfection).

Personally, I'm still working on the big things. I usually feel like mine cakes are pretty average, but every once in a while I hit one out of the park.

Just remember, as has been said, everyone has a bad day now and then. It's just proof we're human! icon_rolleyes.gif

Feel better,
Kathi

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:20am
post #14 of 59

I know exactly how you feel. I love decorating but have had to almost stop completely due to health problems. But even if I get well I am so far behind and feel that there us no way that I can compete.

It is amazing and depressing that so many new decorators are making beautiful cakes. I used to be proud of my work and now I don't want anyone to see what I am able to get finished.

I do enjoy the work of new decorators because they have fresh ideas and bolder designs.

Michele

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:28am
post #15 of 59

LOL for real...................mine are crummy............how can you EVER FEEL THAT WAY...you are a CAKE ARTIST..................your cakes are MARVELOUS...........I wish mine would look half that good......................OMG are you kidding me............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Your cakes are gorgeous......you just made me feel really bad hahaha now I know how REALLY BAD I AM hahaahaha sheesh

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:29am
post #16 of 59

Oh my goodness, you are both fantastic. Honestly, I'd charge a bomb for your cakes (both posters who worried that they weren't good enough). You have the kind of cakes us newbs aspire to! I'd be blimmin proud of my achievements if I were you. Don't worry, I think a laptop cake would throw anyones confidenceicon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:57am
post #17 of 59

I've got a cake on the table right now that I *think* may finally be coming together. If I don't screw something up. Maybe.
It's a walking shoe cake and it looks huge. That's really bad because I made a template for it using my own shoe!

Ach! Difficult cake and I have mondo feet. Yay, me.

I get what you're saying. It's not about past cakes or future cakes. It's about this cake, this day.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:08am
post #18 of 59

Kitagrl, as others have said, we all have bad cake days (nights)

And I know others have told you how great your cakes are. I just wanted you to know that the 2nd 'real' cake I ever did was a copy of one of yours. You're awesome! I only hope I will be as good as you one day.

And as long as the good cake days outweigh the bad, then we'll all be OK!! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:09am
post #19 of 59

Kitagirl... I went and looked and I love the cakes you have posted (especially the Tigger cake, I'm sort of a sucker for Tigger... and I'm glad he wasn't any longer, I think he turned out perfect).

If I'd looked and didn't like, I just wouldn't bother answering.

I would be thrilled beyond words if I could do some of the cakes you've done.

- Leisel

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:24am
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by susgene

And secondly don't you wish you could tell people which cake you're going to make for them? Sometimes they just pick ones that really just don't turn you on... just not as much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I was telling someone too...that sometimes I get frustrated with all the small orders I get (little 3D ones, little two tiered ones) and wish so much to get more wedding orders. I guess sometimes I get an attitude, like "Here I am doing an ugly cake for a guy's birthday and I could be making more money doing beautiful tiers."

I'm totally with you on this. I had a friend call and ask me to help her make a wedding style cake. I was all excited by the idea (I haven't done any real decorating on a cake before... I keep running out of time when I try), so I spent the whole day looking for good cake ideas, including one that I knew I'd seen and couldn't find... I finally found what I think might have been it about 2 in the morning:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/franjmc/3796747367/

So, I went over and had her look through all the ones I'd pulled, and even though she liked the one that was my favorite, in the end, she just wanted it to be very simple... a border around the base of each tier and triple dots as the decoration, and all in white (although I will get to do gumpaste lillies, too... she was originally just going to use fresh flowers). I was so disappointed.

But then I did find this cake picture, and now I think it will at least be okay, but I still don't feel quite as inspired by it as I was before.

- Leisel

nellie0228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nellie0228 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:43am
post #21 of 59

First, your cakes are beautiful!! You should be very proud! I hope to some day be as good as you are.
Second, I think with any job or career you tend to have moments where you feel like you are not doing as well as you could or you do not feel challenged. When that happens to me I would go to my boss and talk over how he/she thought I was performing and what new tasks could be added that would teach me something new. So in your case, why not go for something you haven't done before, even it is just for practice. Not sure what that could be since I am very new to this, but just food for thought.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:43pm
post #22 of 59

I don't feel that way I know I suck LOLOL. I can tell you this though, not to many people are going to beat the taste.

Mike

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:49pm
post #23 of 59

Thanks again for all your sweet comments! Its just been a discouraging couple of months (cake orders are slow for me this time of year) and then last night was rough. Doing a baby shower cake today, hoping that one goes better....I am able to try out the first impressions baby mold for the first time! I don't think I shaded it quite right but it should still be okay for the customer.

Anyways.... you guys all have great work too...and I appreciate your votes of confidence!

I have a bridal show coming up, my first real one...I barely have time to get there and set up due to my schedule but I hope I can make some fun dummy designs and get some wedding orders too.

Thanks again all!

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #24 of 59

I don't just feel it, I KNOW it. I don't have a business but I can't even give away a free cake. I signed up for Free Cakes For Kids and found a referral source and still no takers. I SUCK!!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:19pm
post #25 of 59

Yes..Yes...Yes....I have that happen at least every couple of months.I had a bad cake day last weekend...I had to strip the top off a cake because the airbrushing looked aweful..Then I couldn't get it right.I did the outline image 3 times. Grrrr..Then I dropped cupcakes in the garage (Fridge out there) and they rolled under the truck and into mud..Had to rebake..Grrrrr...I think cause part of it was it was the holidays and I just wanted to relax and my heart wasn't in it....In the end everything turned out and the cakes went out done...Gee I'm glad customers don't see the trouble we have when we are doing their order.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:25pm
post #26 of 59

KK wow that's terrible!!!! icon_surprised.gif

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:00pm
post #27 of 59

You have nothing to worry about! I have just looked at your cakes and feel even worse about mine!

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:03pm
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopilu

You have nothing to worry about! I have just looked at your cakes and feel even worse about mine!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that. icon_sad.gif I guess its just frustrating because sometimes I feel like as I grow my business, the expectations grow too and then when I have a bad week and my cakes aren't looking the way they should, I am afraid I am in over my head.

My intention was really not to just get pats on the back or make others feel bad, just to see if others feel the same..which I guess you all do! Because you all have great cakes too!!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:12pm
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopilu

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that. icon_sad.gif I guess its just frustrating because sometimes I feel like as I grow my business, the expectations grow too and then when I have a bad week and my cakes aren't looking the way they should, I am afraid I am in over my head.

My intention was really not to just get pats on the back or make others feel bad, just to see if others feel the same..which I guess you all do! Because you all have great cakes too!!!!

It's great that your expectations grow -- that's how we grow as sugar artists!! I'm always trying new things, but my downside is that I don't spend nearly enough time practicing the new techniques! (Which happens to be my New Year's resolution this year...) icon_rolleyes.gif I've also had a few moments where I just had to go with it -- in my pix there are Vanilla and Chocolate cupcakes with pink flowers -- originally supposed to look like an old bakery sign with pink frosting and flowers, but I couldn't get the pink frosting and the pink fondant to match (the clash looked awful) and I redesigned it and I think they look just fine. Even the Gilda's Club cake -- the friend I had helping me covered her tier differently so we have the top tier going the other way -- but who knew? Everyone thought it was supposed to be that way! I have, however, given up completely on Barbie cakes. I'm the only one on the planet who can make Barbie look like she has a big butt! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif That's okay, I like the tiered cakes better anyway. icon_biggrin.gif Don't sweat it kid, even sugar has a mind of its own! icon_lol.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:28pm
post #30 of 59

Kitagirl: I specifically look you up on occasion to see what you've been up to simply because I like your cakes and your style and your personality. You are always gracious and encouraging. Self doubt happens, but it often results in one pushing himself to go to the next level and tackle something they have never done before. Chin up, sweetie, it's the lack of sunshine giving you the caking blues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

I know exactly how you feel. I love decorating but have had to almost stop completely due to health problems. But even if I get well I am so far behind and feel that there us no way that I can compete.

It is amazing and depressing that so many new decorators are making beautiful cakes. I used to be proud of my work and now I don't want anyone to see what I am able to get finished.

I do enjoy the work of new decorators because they have fresh ideas and bolder designs.

Michele

Michele, if you never make another cake (and I do so hate to hear that you have had health issues!) please, please know that you set the bar long before caking became a national phenomenon and that you could rest on your laurels for twenty years and not miss a beat! You will never get behind. You are, to this day, one whom I admire and to whose perfection I aspire!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%