Find Topsy Turvy Cake Pans....not The Set

Decorating By DaCakeLady09 Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 11:11pm by cakeandpartygirl

DaCakeLady09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaCakeLady09 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 11

Hello and Happy New Year to All!!

I'm trying to find the topsy turvy cake pans. I don't want the set which I have found and it costs about $150 before shipping. I just need maybe 4 pans. I definitely don't need the 14in. I'm still early in my business and I'm gradually buying my pans. Someone asked for this cake and I'd rather buy the pans as opposed of cutting the cake on a slant. I already hate having to throw out cake when doing sculpted cakes. So if I can avoid this option I would like to.

Any help is appreciated. I'm in the NY area of anyone knows of any stores and I don't mind shopping online.

BAKERS REALITY
WHERE YOUR CAKE DREAMS, BECOME REALITY!

10 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 11

I have only seen the pans that cost that much but I think that most people use their regular pans and go from there. some people use graduated pan sizes to help in the tapering. HTH

DaCakeLady09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaCakeLady09 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:08am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

I have only seen the pans that cost that much but I think that most people use their regular pans and go from there. some people use graduated pan sizes to help in the tapering. HTH

Thanks! I kept search and unfortunately only found the set. I think I will just hit Home Depot and find a metal piece that I can use to put under the pans.

Thanks again!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:15am
post #4 of 11

Why would you need metal to put under the pans? To get the top angle? Personally, I think that special pans for TT cakes are a waste of money. It's easy to just carve them from regular tiers. icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:01am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Why would you need metal to put under the pans? To get the top angle? Personally, I think that special pans for TT cakes are a waste of money. It's easy to just carve them from regular tiers. icon_smile.gif

Me too!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

When I posted I meant for you to carve it out of your regular pans as from scratch said.

I think that your best investment, in my opinion would be to get several sets of a quality brand of your round and square pans like magic line (sorry I am particular to them) but there are others. You would get your best investment out of them instead of purchasing those pans that are only good for just that. If you look at the article page of the website and look for a topsy turvey or mad hatter tutorial they give a great visual display on how to do one using the regular round cake pans with the tapered sides. HTH

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 11

Not only that, but the fact that the cake would bake unevenly in an uneven pan...shoot, if my pan is unlevel by a few centimeters, it messes everything up!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 11

"If you look at the article page of the website and look for a topsy turvey or mad hatter tutorial they give a great visual display on how to do one using the regular round cake pans with the tapered sides"
Cakeandpartygirl,
What website are you referring to?
Thankss.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 11

I haven't understood how the TT pans don't burn on the thinner side while the thicker sides are baking? Surely it takes the thicker side alot longer to bake?

I think in the long run, unless you just do nothing but TT cakes, that the cost of the cake you are carving off is nothing compaired to buying pans that you may not except once in a while.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 9:38pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

"If you look at the article page of the website and look for a topsy turvey or mad hatter tutorial they give a great visual display on how to do one using the regular round cake pans with the tapered sides"
Cakeandpartygirl,
What website are you referring to?
Thankss.

This website. icon_smile.gif There are a whole list of articles and hot-to's and TT cakes is on that list. hth's icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I haven't understood how the TT pans don't burn on the thinner side while the thicker sides are baking? Surely it takes the thicker side alot longer to bake?

I think in the long run, unless you just do nothing but TT cakes, that the cost of the cake you are carving off is nothing compaired to buying pans that you may not except once in a while.

I agree and the tutorial that I was referencing is:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%