A Tip For Smoothing Crusting Buttercream Icing

Decorating By cakeandpartystop Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 10:34pm by Renaejrk

cakeandpartystop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartystop Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 5

I have a cake decorating store here in Okc. I teach some cake decorating classes. this is a tip that i give my students. After i ice my cake i like to get it as smooth as possible first. After my icing has crusted over (not fully crusted but not wet either)I take a piece of wax paper and a fondant smoother and go over the entire cake with it. it's kinda like ironing your cake to get it smooth. what i like about it is that wax paper is cheap and unlike paper towels does not leave a printed mark or cost so much like viva.you can test your cake first and if the wax paper sticks its not crusted over enough wait and try again. remember the weather always effects the butter cream icing. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Brookbourque Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookbourque Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 5

Thanks!! I will definately try that, and it is so much cheaper than viva!!! I also sometimes use the Melvira method. thumbs_up.gif

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 5

Hey thanks a lot for the tip. I've always wondered if I can use wax paper for that purpose, now I know I can.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 5

What if you use an IMBC, or a SMBC? How do you get them smooth?

Mike

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 5

I use fmbc so I can't do some of the smoothing methods, but I get mine cold so the butter makes it firm/hard, and then smooth it - sometimes I use more FMBC to fill in spots that aren't as nice as I'd like them to be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%