Help With Pricing Please

Decorating By Sweet-and-Chic Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm by _Jamie_

Sweet-and-Chic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-and-Chic Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone,
I need help with a price on a 4 tier cake , each tier to be a different flavor. Coverd in fondant and topped with a tea pot, the tea pot to have overflowing flowers and to coime down the cake along wiht some butterflies and poke dots ans such as decorations. How much can I charge and do I charge per piece per diifficulty?? I never know how to base the price, I just do know that its a lot of work. Cake to feed approx. 75 ladies (bridal shower)
Thank you for your prompt response

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 8

What sizes/shapes are the cakes you are doing?

There are several price threads going on and the same theme is happening with all of them. Everyone keeps telling how many tiers and how many servings and they are just not matching up.

As I said in another post, yes serving count is important, but you base the price off the number of servings you are baking, not the number they are asking for.

How much does it cost you to bake a cake like this and how much time will you have in it after doing all the work including the butterflies and tea point and such?

Sweet-and-Chic Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 8

I understand that I should charge for what I bake. (iM pretty new at this), but my cakes are beautiful looking and fresh. I always think that people are coming to me becuse since I dont have an stablished business I will charge little. I know it will take over 3 days to make flowers, pot and decorate along with baking. Can you give me an guestimate per piece then or how do you base your price. I will look at the other threads.
Thx much!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 8

HUUUUUUN-dreds. 4 tiers. Topsy turvy elements. Lots of gumpaste stuff. For 75 people....whew.

Kind of like this? http://media.cakecentral.com/gallery/634768/normal_1253488226.JPG

_Jamie_ Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-and-Chic

I always think that people are coming to me becuse since I dont have an stablished business I will charge little.

And make sure you aren't undercutting the proper cake businesses around you. icon_smile.gif

Sweet-and-Chic Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 8

Thx for the advise. I try not to charge too little as I know its a lot of work to delvera a beautiful and fresh cake. here is what I was asked to make what would you charge?. Thx for the help

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 8

I can't tell how many servings, but that picture is a LOT more than 75. The cake in that picture is easily worth $500 - $1,000 based on your market. Not lower than $500.

_Jamie_ Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 8

Ditto Kelley....and you can always ditch the tapered tier look, and the topsy, and make decorations/embellishments that are crooked, offset, off kilter, whatever to give it an "almost" look and be able to charge something they would go for. Just a thought. And also, it will keep you closer to the servings that are actually needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%