cheeseball Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #1 of 10

A solid block of styrofoam? http://www.raisethecake.com/index.html

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:16am
post #2 of 10

I'm guessing it would be styrofoam too.

You can get a 12" square cake dummy for $6, then the fabric would cost maybe $5, plus the ribbon and decorative pin...so you could make the whole thing for $20...making a bigger size probably wouldn't be too much more. It would also look nice to use a round and then pleat the fabric...just attach it in the center with straight pins and stick them far enough down that it was level.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 10

Why don't I think of these things? The only problem is it only looks good on the cakes that match it.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:55am
post #4 of 10

thanks Texas, I was thinking if it was styrofoam, to have my styrofoam guy cut a 6 or 8 inch high 18 inch square

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:20am
post #5 of 10

Kinda cool, you could easily make and sell these along with a regular cake order...for an extra $75-$100.

Although there were not many I really cared for personally.... I did like the dark green floral one. I think I like the dressier stands made of metal or glass or etc...these seem alot more casual.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:07am
post #6 of 10

I guess for the $150.00 they want for one, I can make the same thing cheaper, even using balsa wood.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:49am
post #7 of 10

I saw these a while back, but just read this part of their info: "All stands come in 3 lightweight, one-time use sizes..."

?? So what, at midnight it turns into a pumpkin? Ahh, I get it.. that's if you set your cake directly on the board..

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

I saw these a while back, but just read this part of their info: "All stands come in 3 lightweight, one-time use sizes..."

?? So what, at midnight it turns into a pumpkin? Ahh, I get it.. that's if you set your cake directly on the board..

I guess it just means that after one use it will get yucky from the frosting...and/or dented (if styrofoam) depending on how heavy the cake is.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #9 of 10

Whenever I see styrofoam cupcake stands, they say they're a single-use product. I think this might be single-use for the same reason, that styrofoam really isn't that durable for repeated use...if it was, they wouldn't make plastic ice chests icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #10 of 10

I sell a styrofoam cupcake tier stand to my customers and I do leave the box so they can reuse it...but they really can only reuse it if they are very careful to keep it clean and gentle when they disassemble. Its really, yeah, disposable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%