Customer Wants To Use These As Seperators

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm by BabyC1985

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 12

A prospective customer wants a 3 tier cake with mirror cube pillars/seperators in between each tier. The ones that she e-mailed me are all different sizes. I don't know where she has seen these from. Does anyone know who sells them? Also, would I have to use different size pillars as I go up the cake or can I just use one size? Are these usually hollow and do i treat them the same as normal pillars i.e. stick dowels in the cakes and cut it to the lengh of the height of the pillar so it can be supported? Will the pillar press down on the soft fondant and what can I do about it?
LL
LL

11 replies
GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 12

I found some at Hobby Lobby at the christmas section but they were the same size. You can use the same size. My guess would be to treat the cube as a cake by putting a seperator plate with the dowels under. then just attach the top cake on top of the cube. I hope I explained myself, hopefully someone else can give you better advice.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 12

I'm not really the expert on cake stacking, but it seems to me like you would just support the cube with dowels. Make sure your dowels are long enough or it's squish your tier down. I would dowel your cakes at home, but do all the stacking on sight. I would place each of the top tiers on a separator plate so you can easily move it. Then just stack 'em up! Good luck thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:00am
post #4 of 12

If you're having a problem finding them, tell the bride or mom that they have to buy them.

Here's what happens. If THEY can't find them, then it's a hard item to find and they'll move on to something else. But if YOU can't find them, then you're a no-account cake lady who RUINED the wedding because you couldn't provide what they wanted.

Seriously, I just can't envision someone handing me a photo of something and saying, "I have no idea where to find these, but I want them for my cake so YOU need to find them for me!"

Bite me, babe.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:28am
post #5 of 12

lol..........agree with Indy 100%

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:46am
post #6 of 12

I've seen these at floral wholesalers such as Stat's here in California....maybe you can find them online through a similar place?

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:34am
post #7 of 12

Thanks for your comments. In the UK we don't really use seperator plates. I have looked at your SPS systems and it only caters for cakes which are 4" and higher. In the UK, our cakes are generally shorter. I can only think of 2 solutions depending on if the actual cube is hollow or not. If its hollow, i'll treat it like a pillar and have dowels go through the cake and cube. How should I measure the length of this cube. I know it sounds like a stupid question but I don't know the thickness of the glass on top fo I don't know when the hollow bit stops.

If it is not hollow, I will put dowels in the cake to support it. Also, the picture shows only the top of the cube. We don't know if the bottom is hollow. In this case, could I just turn it upside down and do the same thing i.e. dowels underneath to support it?

How small can the cube on top of a tier be in order to support it. I am guessing to put a 4" cube under a 6" tier, 6" cube under a 8" and so on.

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 12

I read this post earlier and thought i couldnt help, just noticed your in the uk here try this link

http://www.rainbowfloristsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Clear_Mirror_Cubes.html

hope it helps

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:48pm
post #9 of 12

thanks, that is alot of help icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 12

Never mind finding them....what a PIA to to place on a cake and get all smudged and greasy...Not!! I'll pass.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 12

I think that would be alright. Would it look better if I placed the cakes on a thick 1/2 inch board or a thin standard one?

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 12

I'ld go for the thick drum board

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%