Is It Possible To Make A "cake" Without Wheat, Dai

Baking By LoriMc Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm by dolittle

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 16

or rice?

I have a friend who has a baby turning "1" this month and he has all sorts of digestive problems. She was asking me if I had any ideas on making him something sweet to eat for his birthday in place of a traditional cake.

Wheat, soy, rice and dairy are out. I realize that does not leave much!

Our ideas thus far are a cake molded out of cotton candy or my suggestion of potato candy minus the peanut butter and adding some type of fruit filling. (He is ok with fruits.)

I realize this is a long shot, but there are some really creative people on here!

15 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 16

Glueten free cake mix and coconut milk?

Bob's Red Mill has one that doesn't use Rice Flour
http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf-vanilla-cake-mix.html

LoriMc Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 16

I wonder if it can be made without eggs? I will try to call the 1-800 #

Thanks for that....

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 16

Have a suggestion for you, when I was a Dietition/nutritionist (retired) we would sugggest mothers to cook with medical formulas or special milk that was assigned to patient according to their need. Some special milk/formulas/supplement milk can be cooked with. Always check with the company that prepares them. Have a smash cake prepared using all the ingredients well tolerated by the child. If everyone else want cake to help celebration the birthday a different cake. Just a suggestion. Thanks for the info on the glut-free cake mix, I have a family friend (an adult) with the very same eating restrictions.
Hammy

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 16

I believe I've seen gluten free cake mix at Walmart.

We have a friend who is on a GFCF diet (gluten free casein free diet), so that's why it caught my attention.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 16

I have a great recipe for a wheat-free and dairy-free Orange and Almond Cake which only uses:
oranges
sugar
eggs
almond meal
baking soda

PM me if you'd like the recipe

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 16

It's not wheat free, but maybe some other flour could be used - Martha Stewart's Cupcake book has an "Allergen Free" Chocolate Cupcakes recipe. I've never tried it but it's from a place called Divvies Bakery, so hopefully if a bakery sells it, it's a good recipe?

I don't think I can post it here per CC rules, but let me know and I'll message it to you.

LoriMc Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks for the recipe offer, but I think eggs are out. I wonder if you could sub with applesauce?

This may sound gross, but the mom and I discussed whether you could cook with breast milk instead of cow's milk. I bet someone has tried it.

HamSquad Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:09am
post #9 of 16

Website: A la Breastmilk - www.landmilkhoney.com. A cake can be made for the baby. Also check with Leche League or baby's Ped.
HTH
Hammy

CakeMakar Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:28am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Thanks for the recipe offer, but I think eggs are out. I wonder if you could sub with applesauce?

This may sound gross, but the mom and I discussed whether you could cook with breast milk instead of cow's milk. I bet someone has tried it.

Yes you can substitute eggs with bananas (1/2 Large) or applesauce (1/4c). You could also use 1/4c silken tofu if there are no soy allergies. The Martha Stewart recipe I told you about has no eggs.
I wasn't able to find the recipe for breastmilk made cake on that site. BTW: You might want to mention that its an adult oriented site before pointing people to it.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:11am
post #11 of 16

Jello mold? Boy that is a tough one. Tapioca pudding made with breast milk or coconut milk? Can he have spelt flour? I found a lot of recipes with that in it.

this one is close...

best of luck!

CakeMakar Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:12am
post #12 of 16

You can look up raw food recipes for cake. Many of them are fruit based and even better, no cooking! icon_biggrin.gif Many of them do have nuts though, does he have a nut allergy?

HamSquad Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:56am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

Quote:

Yes you can substitute eggs with bananas (1/2 Large) or applesauce (1/4c). You could also use 1/4c silken tofu if there are no soy allergies. The Martha Stewart recipe I told you about has no eggs.
I wasn't able to find the recipe for breastmilk made cake on that site. BTW: You might want to mention that its an adult oriented site before pointing people to it.

Sorry CakeMakar, no offense and to the mom for the website. Here is one more that may be more suitable: www.storknet.com. I've taught breastfeeding for 25 years. I take it serious. Just wanted to show that breastmilk can be added to ingredients to cook with. Suggest the breastmilk, if used, be for the baby. Again, contact your local La Leche League office with additional resources.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:13pm
post #14 of 16

Ener-g both makes anegg replacer that can be used for baking.

http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?section=8&cat=8&id=97

I use this for my neighbors daughter who has an egg allergy

CakeMakar Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:04pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

Quote:

Sorry CakeMakar, no offense and to the mom for the website. Here is one more that may be more suitable: www.storknet.com. I've taught breastfeeding for 25 years. I take it serious. Just wanted to show that breastmilk can be added to ingredients to cook with. Suggest the breastmilk, if used, be for the baby. Again, contact your local La Leche League office with additional resources.

No problem, Ham! I wasn't offended--I even looked through the website for the recipe...I did find it eventually. I even forwarded another recipe, the cookies to stimulate milk production to my friend who is breastfeeding. So you did more good than you know! icon_biggrin.gif

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm
post #16 of 16

This is a dairy, rice, gluten (wheat), and egg free cake. I hope this helps!
My daughter makes this for my grandson that has Autism ,stomach problems , and allergies.
It's so hard to bake for the kids that can't have your basic ingredients.
My daughter is getting her recipes together for a blog to help people . She has some great ones. If anyone want to know when she has it up just let me know.

This is what I always use for my sons, they love it, but to someone that usually uses regular cakes there is a difference.

preheat 350

3 cups gluten free flours (i use Bob's Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour: it contains garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, white sorghum flour and fava bean flour) i get it at Amazon.com, Whole foods (organic stores), Kroger,)
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey is kosher)
2 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 cup oil (regular vegetable oil usually is made of soy, we use sunflower alot)
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (McCormick)
1 3/4 cups cold water

combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, add the liquid ingredients and mix well. pour into a 9x13 baking pan. bake for 30-40 minutes (usually takes longer in my oven, sometimes it really hard to tell when gluten free things are done they sometimes still seem a little undercooked.) for cupcakes (which is what we do because it's easier to get done in the center and to tell when they are done! lol) bake 22 to 25 minutes (we have to bake them 5-10 minutes longer. makes 24 cupcakes.

***** to add to the cake i put in a bunch of chocolate chips we use Enjoy life chocolate chips, i mix some in the cake mix and i sprinkle them on top espically if i'm not making icing. ****

**** when i make icing i use organic shortening, powder sugar, vanilla. *just make sure there is no soy in the vegtable shortening***

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%