Damasking - Ri Or Bc?

Decorating By j_arney Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 7:59pm by tonedna

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 9

I've read a lot about damasking and watched a few videos, and I think I'm ready to try it out this weekend. However, most places said to use RI, but one poster said she used BC. Is one better? I need black, so I'm wondering how to make RI black. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

8 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 9

I've made black RI - it's a dark gray, then dries to black. I used Americolor super black. I did not need a lot. Hopefully someone else will come along with the other answers you need.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 9

Are you talking about stenciling damask? I use Sugar Veil for stenciling works great.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 9

I've used RI and piping gel on fondant. I don't stencil on BC, as I don't use a crusting, and it would be a horrible mess I think.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 9

I was planning on doing black on white fondant. Just wasn't sure if it should be RI or BC. Looks like I'll go RI and just hope it gets to a true black (not gray). I will be using the damask stencils. Sorry, I wasn't clear about that upfront.

Thanks for all the advice!

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 9

I used damask stencils and found it to be easier than expected!(sometimes I suprise myself LOL) I used bc on fondant when I did it. Looking back I think I would have used would RI . the bc doesn't get dry hard like the RI.

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 9

most people use royal icing, I believe.

I'm also going to try this on a cake, but do any of you have any suggestions on how to do it on a buttercream cake that is not a crusting butterceam?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 9

I've done black royal on white fondant and it turned out great. It's a 2 tier cake in my photos.

Just fyi, I recently used black cream cheese icing on white cream cheese icing and it worked well also. It doesn't really take as much black as you think it will and once it gets to dark gray, it will dry black.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 9

If you are doing it in black and on fondant is nicer to use Royal Icing. Not that it cant be done in buttercream, it can. THe good thing about the RI is that if someone touches it it wont be messed up.
I done it over crusting buttercream with buttercream. Is harder, but it can be done.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%