Need Some Logistics Help On A Cake Please!

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm by MrCake01

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all. I am making a strawberry shortcake themed cake for my niece for her birthday Saturday. She wants it to be 3D strawberry. My plan was to use half of the Wilton ball pan and stack it on top of a few 6 inch rounds and then carve it to be more strawberry-like. My sister in law said it needs to feed 25-30 (but had originally said there would only be around 10 people there). Will this idea work? Do I need to use 8inch rounds and forget the ball shape and just carve it that way? How many layers can I stack before I need a board between them? Thanks so much for any assistance icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 5

.moving to Cake Ideas forum. icon_smile.gif

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 5

Hey confectionsofahousewife,
I like the idea of your cake. I would use 10in rounds and crave not using the ball pan. That way you can increase you servings without having to increase the height. Another suggestion that would give you some more servings and increase the stability is to do some cupcakes around the bottom of the cake putting them against the cake and decorate them just like the cake. If you did 3 10in round layers and cupcakes around the bottom you should have enough servings and shouldnt have to use a board.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCake01

Hey confectionsofahousewife,
I like the idea of your cake. I would use 10in rounds and crave not using the ball pan. That way you can increase you servings without having to increase the height. Another suggestion that would give you some more servings and increase the stability is to do some cupcakes around the bottom of the cake putting them against the cake and decorate them just like the cake. If you did 3 10in round layers and cupcakes around the bottom you should have enough servings and shouldnt have to use a board.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

Cupcakes! I dont' know why I didn't think of that! I would think 3, 10 inch rounds would be fine. Certainly would be enough cake, even after some is carved away.

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 5

confectionsofahousewife
Make sure you share pictures of your cake.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%