Wedding Cake Orders - Questions To Ask?

Business By CookieMeister Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 3:23am by morgnscakes

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 11

I've gotten my first request for a wedding cake (granted, it's my niece, but I'm thrilled. icon_biggrin.gif). I asked her quite a few questions, and we're going to meet this weekend to go over designs. However, as I've been working on design ideas, I've had to call her back with more questions.

Do you have a standard list of questions you run through initially? I'd like to. Avoid having to call clients back with more questions!

10 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:43am
post #2 of 11

Congrats on your first wedding cake order! I've never made a wedding cake so I am going to.....

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:48am
post #3 of 11

Wedding colors? How many guests to serve? What flavors/fillings? What designs does she like (look thru magazines and here on CC)....what shape? date of event, location, indoor/outdoor wedding....that's a start.

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 11

Here's a questionnaire that I use for my brides to fill out before our consultation. It helps me to get an idea of what to expect from them or how to help them if they have no clue.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:07am
post #5 of 11

You should put together a standard form so that you won't forget something important. I am actually redoing all my forms right now, so here is a list (by all means not exhaustive)
*name, number, email, groom's name, wedding day contact, venue and when its open on the event date
*Florist, photog, reception coordinator's name and phone
*Guest count, do they need it for dessert
*Samples tried, icing preferred
*Space for different ideas and serving counts/price quotes and when they expire
*Wedding colors, topper needed, swatch needed, colors wanted on cake, theme of wedding, flowers needed
*Cake configuration, shape(s) hard goods needed (ribbon, crystals, etc)
*Then, a chart with each cake size, its flavor and filling, and then a total servings and cost
*Any additional sheet/kitchen cakes needed and their cost
*Delivery instructions
*A sketch attached with full notes of cake wanted with a place for a signature.
An itemized list of all things needed, their estimated cost and then a grand total.
HTH- best of luck, take your time, and have fun!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:04am
post #6 of 11

I dont' have a written list of questions but what I do is just mentally run thru the construction of the cake.

Before I bake it, I have to know how big of a cake I'm going to need, so serving count is needed. Need to know if I need to use round or square pans. Need to know what flavor cake batter to put in the pans.

When it comes out of the oven, I'll need to know what kind of filling.

I'll need to know if it will be iced in BC or fondant.

What kind of borders, if any? What kind of decors on the sides of the cakes?

stacked or with pillars?

I find it hard to come up with a hard-core list because each cake is different .. each bride is different. When we do a custom cake, we're more than an order taker, so be ready to go where the conversation takes you when talking about design.

And if you have to call a bride back because you forgot to ask a question, that's ok. It shows you are thinking about it and want to make sure everything is right for her. I find it sounds better to say "I neglected to ask ...." instead of "I forgot to find out....."

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:18am
post #7 of 11

The questionaire pdf is not able to viewed it is saying some codes are missing etc. Is the questionnaire only one page I can copy and paste it, rather than down loading it?

I am terrible at remembering what to ask the Brides. I have done a few now but all of them tend to say "whatever you think will be fine". One of these days it won't be fine and then what do you do? So asking set questions is a good idea. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers Tina

morgnscakes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colliegirl

The questionaire pdf is not able to viewed it is saying some codes are missing etc. Is the questionnaire only one page I can copy and paste it, rather than down loading it?

I am terrible at remembering what to ask the Brides. I have done a few now but all of them tend to say "whatever you think will be fine". One of these days it won't be fine and then what do you do? So asking set questions is a good idea. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers Tina

I'm not for sure why the questionnaire won't come up. Here is the info and if you want it, I can email any of you with it in a word document.

Congratulations and thank you for considering us for your special day. We believe that your cake should not only look as you envision, but taste just as good, if not better. Besides, what is a cake if you cant enjoy it!!!!

You may have a vision of the wedding or special occasion cake you want created, or maybe you dont. Well, this is all where is starts to happen.

If you are the bride or groom, you can do this alone or with your beloved. If you are close to the couple, find out if both or just one would like to be involved in the decision making process. Or you might just be the responsible party for the cake. Ready???

Name:
Contact Information:
  Home Phone:
  Cell Phone:
  Work Phone:
  Email:
  Preferred method of contact:
  Preferred time of contact:

1.  What is the budget?  

2.  When is the event?
  Date:
  Time:
  Time of reception (if, applicable):

3.  How many guests are you expecting?

4.  How formal is the event? (casual, semi-formal, garden, informal, formal, etc)

5.  What is the style, mood, colors and/or theme of the event?

6.  Any allergies to consider??

7.  Do you have a preference in shape of the cake? (round, square, hexagon, combination, etc)

8.  How many tiers would you prefer?

9.  How did you hear about us?

FOR WEDDINGS ONLY (answer the following):

10.  What time does the reception start?

11.  Reception Location:

12.  Do you have a wedding planner?

13.  Are you interested in wedding cupcakes?

14.  Are you interested in a grooms cake?

15.  Are you having an engagement party, bridal shower, etc? (ask about our multiple event discount).

PLEASE CHOOSE UP TO 5 CAKE FLAVORS AND 10 FILLINGS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SAMPLE AT YOUR TASTING/CONSULTATION.

Cake Flavors:  1.

Fillings:  1.        2.
    3.        4.
    5.        6.
    7.        8.
    9.        10.

Now that you have completed all the necessary initial steps and questions, mail or email this to us at the following:

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:16am
post #9 of 11

Thank you for posting your questionaire, morgnscakes! I haven't had any wedding orders yet, but I think that your questionaire is an awesome tool to use in the event that I do get a bridal order.

It was very nice of you to share icon_smile.gif

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:23am
post #10 of 11

Hi thanks MorgansCakes, this is the message that came up:

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

So thanks for the posting I have copied and pasted it to a new word doc. Much appreciated.

Cheers Tina

morgnscakes Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:23am
post #11 of 11

not a problem...I'm always willing to help. My family always told me..."you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". We're all in this together one way or another.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%