Polka Dots: Harder Than They Look!

Decorating By Crystalm Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 3:02pm by cylstrial

Crystalm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystalm Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 13

Ok so I am a newbieicon_smile.gif My best friend wants a white cake with black polka dots all over it for her 30th. She wants the really small ones so I doubt I can cut them out. Is there any type of pre-made candy or something that I can use as a polka dot? I am really quite terrible at trying to pipe them on with a bag and tip and havent learned how to do that yet. Any help would be appreciated!

12 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 13

Well, there are 4mm black pearls like these:

http://www.fancyflours.com/sugar-pearls-black-4mm.html

I have also seen them in 8mm size somewhere...

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 13

you could make some candy clay.. use your small piping tips.. depending how small you want them.. roll the clay out on powder sugar... sorta thin... dust top litely with the sugar... then use the tips to cut.. use something to poke them out of the tip.. hth

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 13

You can also use piping tips to cut fondant (I do it all the time for eyes etc). You can use either the narrow (piping) end or the wider (coupler) end depending on the size of dot you need.
If the fondant gets stuck just push it out from the other end with a toothpick. Works for me and you can actually get quite quick at it too.
HTH

Crystalm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystalm Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 13

Do you know if those black pearls are hard to eat? Do they hurt your teeth?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 13

why not just use BC and make dots on the side of the cake with a tip 2 or 3? Give them a few minute to crust, then go back and gently flatten them with your finger so they look like dots and not chocolate chips.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 13

i don't like eating the dragees ( those pearls). they sorta ruin the lovely soft texture of a cake when you get this hard bead like thing in your mouth... they do look good tho. i like to go with the piping tip and punch out any dots for circles if i don't feel like piping them.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 13

You can just pipe them onto wax paper with buttercream and then let them dry before putting them on your cake. Make them whatever size you like!
That's what I did on this cake:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1377678
thumbs_up.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

why not just use BC and make dots on the side of the cake with a tip 2 or 3? Give them a few minute to crust, then go back and gently flatten them with your finger so they look like dots and not chocolate chips.

what she said thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 13

You could also use a tiny round cutter and just cut out tons of fondant dots and apply to the cake.

marchdragonfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marchdragonfly Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 13

Depending on how small you want the polka dots, I have made them with rolled fondant and used the end of a drinking straw for real small dots.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #12 of 13

I used the large end of regular sized piping tips the tip end of some round piping tips and straws to make polka dots on the first fancy decorated cake I made. Cut outs ensure you have a round polka dot.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 13

I also use piping tips to make polka dots out of fondant. Most of the time I use a 10 or 12. But sometimes I use little ones. Here's a cake I recently did.

Both the red and the white polka dots are cut out using the piping tips. I just can't remember what number I used for the red dots. Probably a 5.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1536493

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%