Anyone Have The Wilton Large Cake Leveler?

Decorating By alene Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 4:31pm by multilayered

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 25

Last year when I took a couple of Wilton cake decorating classes, my instructor recommended the Wilton Large Cake Leveler! I already have the small one and like it pretty well but finally broke down and decided to try the large one. I must say, it's a piece of crape, to say it mildly! I know the way to go is the Agbay but can't afford that at this time. Anyone have any luck with the large one or am I just not holding my mouth right? LOL

24 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 25

Alene, I have the large Wilton leveler and I don't like it either (small one works fine for me though). I tossed it in storage somewhere and have been using a large serrated knife to level my cakes and am much happier. Hopefully within the next 20 years I'll be able to afford an Agbay icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 25

Yep, I have the small & large ones as well. Have to say...I hate the large one too! My husband is DYING to get the Agbay, but I just can't justify it. NOt yet!!!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 25

The Agbay is soooo worth the money! icon_wink.gif You kick yourself for not getting it sooner...yes, it's that good!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 25

are you sliding it back and forth... and not trying to just cut straight thru.. with the agbay.. you have to ziz zag it back and forth.. also.. so if you are not doing this.. try that.. hope it works..don,t know.. have the small wilton one.. love it.. but i have the agbay for larger layers.. hth

alene Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

The Agbay is soooo worth the money! icon_wink.gif You kick yourself for not getting it sooner...yes, it's that good!

Someone should kick the instructor for ever recommending the large wilton leveler! Should have asked for one at Christmas but that's ok, I have a birthday coming up this month! icon_biggrin.gif

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 25

I so aghree. I have the large one and it just sits there. I never use it. The small one I do use quite often. Agbay, definitely on my list! I just placed a large order with CK Products, so the Agbay will have to wait til some wedding final payments come in!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by alene

Last year when I took a couple of Wilton cake decorating classes, my instructor recommended the Wilton Large Cake Leveler! I already have the small one and like it pretty well but finally broke down and decided to try the large one. I must say, it's a piece of crape, to say it mildly! I know the way to go is the Agbay but can't afford that at this time. Anyone have any luck with the large one or am I just not holding my mouth right? LOL

Give it time. I hated mine in the beginning. I bad-mouthed it on here and then later had to recant. It takes some getting used to. Tonedna has some useful hints that I took to heart (she is also a Wilton instructor) and utilized. You might want to PM her if she does not see this post. As well, there are some on here who have modified it by adding "feet" made from heavy plastic (like the type used for cutting boards.) I have not had to modify. I actually put my cake on a non-slip pad and, making sure the blade is tight, use the same zig-zag motion mentioned above. Works perfect every time now. No need for an Agbay.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 25

I have the large one too, and after a while - with my husband assistance, I finally learned how to use it. I am OK with it now. Yes, you have to cut slowly side to side, but mostly you have to focus your mind not on the cake but on the legs of the leveler. I push it down with my hands, and I make sure that the legs are not tipping and sliding straight on the counter. After I do that I have no problem. But I agree, the problem is with the leveler's leg's.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 25

I have the Wilton leveler and have never had a problem either. What kind of problems do people have with it icon_confused.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 25

I have it, and have had no issues. I have a large island, so clear ample room, and then "saw" back and forth, making sure to keep the feet on the counter.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:51pm
post #12 of 25

I have the large one and I do not like it. I use a seesaw motion, and am very careful to make sure the legs are secure on the counter, but the blade still bows on me! I now put the cake back in the pan and level it with a serrated knife. If the pan is too big for the knife. I score it all the way around, level with the top of the pan, and use non waxed dental floss to cut through the cake - works much better than fighting with the large leveler! I can't justify the agbay because I don't do many cakes.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:59pm
post #13 of 25

I have yet to be successful with it. Without exception, the moment it is aginst the cake the blade bends in a downward motion at the center of the cake. At this point I'm thankful it hasn't successfully cut since the cake would be anything But level.

But since so many others are finding it works for them, I will try to following everyone's advice and give it "one" more try.

maddie90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddie90 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:04pm
post #14 of 25

I have both the small and large wilton levelers. The large one is worthless. The blade bows which , I think, is the main problem.

alene Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #15 of 25

For me it seems to be very flimsy. The tension isn't strong enough to keep the blade flat as you cut through the cake. It rides up or down and digs into the cake but I'll give it one more try and see what happens.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 25

I use the large wilton leveler all the time and have never had a problem. It works great for me and yes, you do need to concentrate on the keeping the feet level. I let the blade do the work - It doesn't happen to me but I'm wondering if pushing too hard against the cake is what's causing it to bow?

Jennle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennle Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:20pm
post #17 of 25

I use my large one all the time! I hated the small one, I could never get a clean cut with it. I put my cake on a piece of no slip and my hubby helps me by holding the top level while I cut using a sawing motion. I do agree the blade is a bit flimsy, and the feet are slippery, but generally,I have pretty good luck. Make sure your cake is good and cold, and you could try leveling in one direction and then turn the cake 180 degrees to do it again. Good luck!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:21pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

I use the large wilton leveler all the time and have never had a problem. It works great for me and yes, you do need to concentrate on the keeping the feet level. I let the blade do the work - It doesn't happen to me but I'm wondering if pushing too hard against the cake is what's causing it to bow?

I would agree with that assumption. Once I quite forcing the blade (thereby causing the feet to rock) the blade no longer wanted to bow. As well, I make sure that blade is locked in tight to its designated slot. The non stick pad on which the cake is sitting keeps the cake from wanting to move with the leveler allowing a smooth motion to be made rather than a forced motion.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:25pm
post #19 of 25

Agree with Jennle. It works great if your cake is cold. But don't even try to use it if your cake is still slightly frozen. I have a love-hate relationship with my leveler. Some days it is nice to me.....other days it isn't.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #20 of 25

There was a wonderful post on this subject where a fellow CCer's husband put feet on their leveler. They used high density plastic and cut the feet like the agaby one looks like and just drilled pilot holes through the feet on the wilton one and screwed it to it. The fellow cc'er said it worked fine. I wish I could find the link to the thread.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #21 of 25

I have had the little one for a while, and I think it's AWFUL. Never straight, pulled the edges of my cake off. Then I got the large one, and I feel like I'm in cutting heaven! (Although, I'm sure the agbay is better.) No problems, perfect cut, perfectly level. I use it for leveling and torting. It is a dear friend now! Knives? No way! They don't like me! Can't level for my life. But now I can with my nifty Wilton cutter! =)

I hope you can figure it out or figure out something that works well for you!

Good luck!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:02pm
post #22 of 25

I am going to copy and past my reply to the other thread just like this one... icon_cool.gif

I have and use the large Wilton cake leveler. It was a disaster at first. And I do mean disaster!!! Sticky gummy cake, breakage, uneven levels.

Then I watched the Agbay video and used it just like that on a fully cooled cake. Don't ever ever try to torte a warm cake. I won't even do room temp for the possibility of having a warm spot in the middle that will turn to mush while trying to torte. Cool all the way and it slices neater. I also place my cake on plastic wrap on my flat top stove so the cake won't slip but the leveler is free to move the right way back and forth while edging forward through the cake.

Those plastic feet look like a great way to keep the leveler, um- level.
I might just have to try that. I have been eyeballing it with success, but anything that makes it fool proof is awesome.

Momma28 modified the feet and it looks cool. Here, go see the other thread... icon_wink.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=657696&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

alene Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:21pm
post #23 of 25

Thanks sadsmile for the old thread on this subject. Called myself looking through the search but never saw it. I'll give it another try and keep all the suggestions in mind. Thanks....

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:27pm
post #24 of 25
multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:31pm
post #25 of 25

I actually only have the large one. I use it to level all my cakes small and large. I have not had any problems yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%