Fondant Sheeter Question

Decorating By Moofiebonbon Updated 13 Mar 2014 , 11:58pm by howsweet

Moofiebonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moofiebonbon Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 17

I am wondering if anyone could tell me if it is necessary to use an actual fondant sheeter verses using one that was manufactured for pizza dough. I am asking because, although I do not work with fondant all that much, I would like to but I am not so strong anymore and it is really hard for me to roll it out. I have an opportunity to purchase a Somerset dough sheeter, 20" for around $500. It was used in a pizza shop and is sold as such, but I am wondering if it would work with fondant. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

16 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 17

There is no difference as far as I know. They are all dough sheeters. I would make sure it's really well cleaned, but it would work fine.

Now... if you are planning on covering a cake that is larger than 10"... maybe 12" if you are good with the placement... this sheeter will be too small for you. If you only do smaller cakes though... this will be fine. Or maybe you can use the sheeter to get it started and roll it out more after since it won't be too hard to roll it a little thinner after it's already rolled out. Just remember that the piece of fondant you roll out should be at least 10" bigger than the diameter of your cake to account for the distance up each side and give you a little bit of play.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

Moofiebonbon Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks so much FromScratch. This does help. I too figured that I could start the fondant in the sheeter and roll more when necessary. I think for the price, I really cannot go wrong. If it is something that becomes and issue, I bet I could resell it for more than I paid. These things are very expensive.
Thanks again!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 17

For me, I wouldn't waste the cash and space on a sheeter that wasn't going to do 100% of the work for 80% of my cakes. I think if you are always rolling more you are going to resent the purchase. Put the cash away for the big one icon_smile.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 17

Just make certain it is a Somerset dough sheeter and not a dough roller and you'll be OK.

You'll likely still have to order the fondant ramp from Somerset but that is a screaming deal. Best of luck!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 17

Have you called Somerset? I would try that first and see what they have to say.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 17

I think the best thing you can do is get the model # and look it up. I think a dough roller would work too... just watching the product videos over on the Somerset site and they both do the same thing... just in a slightly different way.

Though watching those videos makes me want one... badly. To have a sheet of fondant rolled out in 5 seconds... ahhhh bliss!! icon_wink.gif

I think... for $500 you probably can't lose. Just make sure it's not ancient and functions well. I can't imagine selling it for $500 unless it came with the establishment and they have no clue how much they run for.. or.. it's broken nd needs fixin'.

New a 30" sheeter is 4-6K. That's a huge chunk-o-change but you could use it for so many things... pie crust... pasta dough... disobedient children... icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 17

icon_surprised.gif Disobedient children?! Ah, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA! How horribly funny!

Ahhh, to roll out fondant in 5 seconds...

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 17

First let me say that $500.00 is an AMAZING price!!!!!! There should not be an issue with using a dough sheeter as opposed to a fondant sheeter, but you have to clean well between uses because flour in fondant can cause fermenting and that would be unfortunate.

I have had access to a two stage Somerset 20 inch sheeter in the kitchen I was renting. I do love the idea, but the reality is that the fondant seems to get stuck in the top chute a lot, and it is hard to roll anything very wide as it seems to always stretch long and skinny. I was more successful skipping the first stage entirely, having the machine roll thicker than I needed and finishing by hand with a heavy rolling pin, unless the cake was pretty small.

I have to admit, however, that the lady who owns the kitchen loves this sheeter, so I assume that the learning curve just takes awhile and with more use, I might also find it more useful. She can catch the fondant as it comes out of the machine and place it directly on the cake without stopping. For me it curls under itself and is always too narrow.

When I look for a sheeter, I hope to find a reversible one rather than the two stage thing, but if you are more coordinated than I am there are definitely ways to make this one work.

Moofiebonbon Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have actually found out more info on this sheeter. It is a Somerset model CDR-2100
As far as cleanliness it is almost perfect. There are no noticeable scratches and everything looks to be in good condition.
I know that $500 is a awesome deal, I am just nervous because it was designed and used for pizza dough. I am wondering if anyone else has used one that was designed for pizza with fondant and does it work basically the same?
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between a roller and a sheeter? I have watched the video's and they seem to do the same thing, unless I am missing something.
Thanks again!

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:32am
post #11 of 17

We have the 30" Somerset sheeter...the one designed for fondant. I love it. My concern is you're spending $500 on machine that's only big enough to cover a 10" cake.

Personally, I would put the $500 towards a 30" sheeter.

Moofiebonbon Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #12 of 17

Spring- I am with you on it, really I am. I just do not think my wallet is! LOL
I looked on ebay and they have the 30" for fondant for $4,199 and $125 shipping. The price has a "Make an Offer" option but I do not think they will accept my offer... I wish! If you don't mind, could I ask how much you paid for yours?
Thanks in advance

FunCakeZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakeZ Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Just remember that the piece of fondant you roll out should be at least 10" bigger than the diameter of your cake to account for the distance up each side and give you a little bit of play.

Makes sense... I recently bought a Fondant Sheeter from a Restaurant Supply Store which is amazing!

Edyta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edyta Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 17

For 5 weekes I was "fighting" with Somerset to buy CDR500 220V and now they shipped it without any papers and forwarder can't send it to Europe for me. Terrible contact ! When I call them they said "send an email". It really took 5 weekes to make easy deal...Now i'm stucked without invoice and CE certificate for Europe. 

tansaliba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tansaliba Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 4:30am
post #15 of 17

AHello I was wondering if anyone knew if somewhere in Australia that sold sommerset dough shetters, even second hand .

tansaliba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tansaliba Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 4:42am
post #16 of 17

AHi I was wondering if u ended up buying this and does it work well with fondant as I too have found 1 second hand and is wondering the sane thing ?

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 11:58pm
post #17 of 17

Unfortunately this is an old thread and Moofie hasn't posted since June 2011. You might search her posts to see if she ever commented about it somewhere else. Here's the link http://cakecentral.com/forums/posts/by_user/id/48779

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%