Help! How To Attach Numbers Or Letters As Topper?

Decorating By greengyrl26 Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm by meri1028

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 27

I'm making my niece's birthday cake this weekend. Pink & Black & silver, and wanted to do a silver sparkly "14" as the topper. I've seen this done everywhere...but can't quite figure out how!

I can easily cut the numbers out with my Cricut...but won't that be too thin? Wouldn't it break, basically if someone looked at it wrong? I made a 14 a couple of days ago out of fondant w/tylose, and it was about a 1/2" thick. I thought sturdy...right? Nope. The 4 broke apart when I handled it (after it dried for 2 days). And those were super heavy, but I thought they'd balance on the cake better.

I guess I'm asking, should they be thin or thick? And what do you use to attach them with? I used floral wire in the practice set, but that really didn't seem like it would hold them. And sucker sticks seem far too big around to use...I mean, how would you insert it into your cut letter without destroying it? Do you use floral wire then add some RI, and if so...is that really strong enough to hold it?

My main concern is that this cake will travel about 2 hours...fully assembled. It's 3 tiers (which will be dowelled), but I need that "14" at the top to really stay up there!!!

Here's a picture that shows kind of what I'm looking to do for the top. Flat letters, not rolled out snakes of fondant shaped into letters. How is this attached???

Please, any and all advice/suggestions are needed! I need to make another tonight so it will have time to dry, and I want to make sure I do it right this time!
LL

26 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 27

Firstly - do NOT travel with the 14 standing in your cake - take it separately and place it on when you get there - trust me, I learnt the hard way about these things! When I do numbers standing on cakes I cut 2 pieces of each number and then sandwich either cocktail sticks or kebab skwers between the two, sticking the letters together with gum glue. Then I dry them for several days (ay least a week to be on the safe side), turning them over each day so both sides get well aired. It's best to go heavy handed on the tylose too - use twice as much as they say for a strong, quicker drying piece. HTH!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 27

Don't travel with it......Like Mike said, not a good idea. I too learned the hard way. I've made my numbers a bit longer on the bottom, so I can cut a slit in the fondant on the top of the cake and slide the number into the cake. Makes sense? I usually make it at least an inch or more longer so it really gets into the cake. Or a make a fugure or something to lean up against it to give it support.
HTH

greengyrl26 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 27

Well...I'm not driving with it. Her mother is picking it up, and SHE's driving with it!!! Not the best idea, I know...but I have other cakes to work on and can't make my niece's party.

I just don't know what to do! She won't have any idea how to add the numbers to the top, even if I give her RI and make slits in the cake for her! (btw...you both have REALLY great ideas, thanks so much)!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 27

Well..I would give her the number and say "Here...all you have to do is stick it into the top of the cake" I think she can do that...It's not that hard!!Otherwise you can't worry about the condition it arrives in.....

sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 27

what about melted chocolate on the back attatched to a lollipop stick....dries quick and easy to pop into the cake at the party!!! Good luck!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 27

Make them of gumpaste or a 50/50 mix. Then use a sucker stick or wooden dowel and attach to the back of the numbers with candy melts. I do this all the time. I also would not advise travelling that far with them on there. Put them on there long enough to get a picture, then remove them for the drive.

greengyrl26 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 27

okay. I think I have a plan now. Thanks so much for all of your help!!! I swear, I really don't know what I would do without this site and all of you!!!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 27

The way I do all my toppers, is that I basically cut 2 pieces of each from a fondant/gumtex mixture and sandwiched in between them is a skewer (or two) depending on the shape. The two pieces are held together by a spritz of water.

hope this helps!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 27

I have a question. I understand cutting 2 of each number and placing the skewer between the two. My question is do you do this after the number are first cut or do you wait a day or two and then paste them together?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket0616

I have a question. I understand cutting 2 of each number and placing the skewer between the two. My question is do you do this after the number are first cut or do you wait a day or two and then paste them together?

I do it immediately so that the fondant/tylose/gumpaste (whatever you're using) can kind of form itself to the stick and dry that way.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 27

Thinking about purchasing a Cricut machine. Which one do you recommend, the Expressions or the Personal machine? It is a lot cheaper to by the personal version. However, I have 2 daughters 8 and 10, and I am also a former teacher needing to go back and I think the larger Expressions may be more useful.

greengyrl26 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 27

I have the Expression & LOVE it! If you plan to use it to cut gumpaste though, you'll also need a deep cut blade & housing. HTH

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 27

Thanks! JoAnn has it on sale and free shipping.

meri1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meri1028 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:36pm
post #15 of 27

greengyrl26, if you use fondant & tylose do you need the deep cut blade? I just got the Cricut Create for Christmas but I haven't used it on fondant yet.

greengyrl26 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 8:32pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by meri1028

greengyrl26, if you use fondant & tylose do you need the deep cut blade? I just got the Cricut Create for Christmas but I haven't used it on fondant yet.

Yes, you absolutely need the deep cut blade & housing, and you have to play around (a lot) with the settings and the thickness of your fondant/tylose to get what works for you. Here's a link to a thread about using the Cricut with gumpaste (and fondant/tylose which is what I use). My post that details my success with specific settings, and pictures is about 1/2 way down on page 1.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6664843-.html#6664843

Hope this helps & good luck! Feel free to PM me if you need more details.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:11am
post #17 of 27

If you don't care if the numbers are completely edible, why not use foam core cut out in the number shapes and covered in thin fondant. When you cut them out you could create a tab at the bottom to insert into the cake like said earlier. icon_smile.gif

meri1028 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:37pm
post #18 of 27

Thanks so much greengyrl26!!! I'm planning to use it this weekend so I'm glad you told me!!! I'm going to get the deep cut blade today!! Your pictures & detail is amazing! Thank you for documenting what you did!!!

greengyrl26 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:25pm
post #19 of 27

meri1028...no problem! I've received so much help here, I'm more than happy to be able to help someone else! Please post pics of your success so we can all see!

meri1028 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:29pm
post #20 of 27

greengyrl26, I have another question for you. I just got back from AC Moore & Michael's. Do you need the deep cut blade houseing or will the deep cut blade fit in the regular housing? Well I was unable to find just the blade so I bought the housing & blade anyways but it was twice as much.

greengyrl26 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 27

I have & use both the deep blade & housing. The deep housing sits higher than the regular housing, allowing the gumpaste/fondant to pass thru (since it's thicker than regular paper). But yeah, I think it was around $30 for the combo at Wal-Mart. Hope you had a coupon for Hobby Lobby/Michael's!

meri1028 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:43pm
post #22 of 27

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Actually in NC they won't let you use a coupon on any Cricut products!!! But I just found the blade & housing on Amazon for $10 cheaper & I have free 2 day shipping!! It will get here Saturday! So I'm taking the one I bought back! Thank you so much for your help!!!! Wish me luck & I'll let you know what I get! I really do appreciate all your help!

greengyrl26 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #23 of 27

Oh, you're right. We can't use the coupons on the Cricut stuff here either...which is why I bought it at Wal-Mart! Totally forgot about that!!!

No problem, am happy to help. Truly. Before I got this Cricut thing figured out, I was absolutely on the verge of tears. I knew it could be done, I'd seen it done. I was following everyone's instructions, had watched the dvd, ect. I thought I'd tried everything and it wasn't working and I was so completely deflated by the whole process. UNTIL...I figured out that I wasn't rolling it thin enough, and that my roller was a piece of crap! The minute I switched to using the KA pasta roller attachment...magic...it worked! And, it worked beautifully!

As for the fast reply...well....I'm pretty much addicted to this website! I always have it up in the background at my "day job", and check it every chance I get! It's a bit of a problem....I guess it's my vice!

Good luck to you, and yes...please post pics of your success!

MARYNES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARYNES Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:10pm
post #24 of 27

I use styrofoam to make diferent kind of cake toppers, I've done numbers too. I get a design of what I want put it on the styrofoam mark it around and cut it with a special tool to cut styrofoam (got it at michael's or ac moore) then I paint it with acrylic paint and let it dry and last I brush it a little of glue with water over all and sprinkle it with very fine glitter.

I put a picture here of what i just told you.

HIH
LL

greengyrl26 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 3:18pm
post #25 of 27

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of your help with this. I ended up cutting my numbers out of fondant/tylose (as originally planned), and attaching them to a sucker stick with chocolate (as suggested here). It worked like a DREAM! Those things were very solid & sturdy! I posted a pic of the cake this morning. Here's a link if you'd like to take a peek at what you ALL helped make a success!!!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1554390

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #26 of 27

Your cake turned out lovely!

meri1028 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #27 of 27

greengyrl26, your cake & your numbers turned out great! The numbers are perfect.

I tried my Cricut this weekend. I have the Cricut create (the middle one). I used a Happily Ever After cartridge which actually recommends using the Cricut Expression for the more detailed pieces. I had to make the eyes and lips out of paper because I just couldn't get it right with the fondant. I used fondant with tylose. I will try gumpaste next time though. I love this thing though!!! The larger pieces were great!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1555273

Can you tell me how you got the sticky stuff off the mat? I used the other side of the mat with Crisco, but I think the deep cut blade and the other side of the mat are not such a good idea.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%