Covering Styrofoam With Fondant

Decorating By meharding Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 2:38am by icingimages

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:16am
post #1 of 10

I am making a ring box cake for my son's engagement party and would like to make the lid out of styrofoam and cover it with fondant. How do I get the fondant to adhere to the styrofoam?

9 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:23am
post #2 of 10

My preferred method is to massage the dummy very well with crisco and apply the fondant.

You need to smooth the upper edge--either roll it on the countertop or sand it down with an emery board/nail file--so that the fondant doesn't tear.

You can also spritz the dummy with water, use piping gel, or corn syrup. I just think the crisco gives you some extra time to finesse the fondant and if you have to re-roll it, it's not real sticky.

HTH
Rae

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:23am
post #3 of 10

Rub some shortening on the styrofoam then add the fondant.

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:24am
post #4 of 10

same way that you would on a regular cake, is my guess - put a layer of buttercream under it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:30am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyfire

same way that you would on a regular cake, is my guess - put a layer of buttercream under it.

Sorry, but that's overkill. It just makes for a messy process that's unnecessary.
A good coating of crisco works the same way and is less messy and less costly.

Rae

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #6 of 10

Thanks, Rae - I added my $.02 before I read all of the responses icon_redface.gif and hadn't heard of using crisco before - I will certainly try that ... I'd bet that it makes it a lot easier to clean up styrofoam forms, too!

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone. He popping the question on Saturday and we having a surprise engagement party for her with all the family and friends afterwards. It is all very exciting icon_lol.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 10

You can also brush piping gel on. It actually prefer it now over shortening but either one works well.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 10

Cheapest method of all - spritz with a bit of water then cover with fondant.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:38am
post #10 of 10

Actuallly do not put too much Crisco on it as it can deteriorate the Fondant. I light coat will work just is well. Be sure to get the corners well as that is an area that likes release! Be sure to use Crisco, not any other brand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%