Problems Covering With Mmf...

Decorating By jfroman Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 2:45pm by JenniferMI

jfroman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jfroman Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:24am
post #1 of 10

Everytime i try to cover cakes with my mmf I have a terrible time trying to smooth it out and remove all of the wrinkles. I can never get them all out....soooo frustrating! I know my fondant was made well-it wasnt too dry...seemed perfect. But went to cover the cake and it just wasnt working! So my question is-those of you who use mmf to cover your cakes...is there something I might be doing wrong? Or is mmf just not the best for covering cakes? Please help! TIA!! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:26am
post #2 of 10

What are you using to smooth it out? Do you have fondant smoothers?

I use mmf all the time and I find the thinner I roll it the better the results.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 10

Youtube has great tutorials for covering a cake with fondant. I only use mmf (satinice and fondarific are not readily available where I live) and Wilton fondant is not an option - tastes horrible).

I LOVE mmf and have never had a problem with it - lots of people seem to love MFF (Michele Foster's fondant) I've never tried it (mmf is just too easy and almost never fails)

but definitely try youtube first - just type in "covering a cake in fondant" and sort them according to rating to get the best tutorial - good luckicon_smile.gif

cksweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksweets Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 10

hi. i'm new to this. but i have found that sometime the weather is too humid and i need to roll out the fondant and let it sit just a bit. and sometimes it helps if you roll it out a little bigger than you need. i use one of those mats you get that has the circles marked on it. you can get them at your local craft stores. hope this help! icon_smile.gif

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #5 of 10

I use a fondant smoother and once you learn how to use it you will notice a big difference. I got mine at crafts 2000 but I think you can get them at any cake supply store. Another thing I use cornstarch. I don't know if anyone else does but I've noticed a huge difference since I started using it. I find it easier to work with fondant all together now.

cksweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksweets Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #6 of 10

Sorry wanted to add...

I use the wilton fondant smoother you can purchase at your local craft store. I got mine at Michaels. But Walmart carries them too.

Good luck!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:43am
post #7 of 10

Wrinkles where? What shape is the cake? I've found that my fondant needs to be fairly stretchy and flexible. I lay it on the cake, quickly adhere the top and the top edge, and then work on the sides. To get out the wrinkles you have to stretch it a bit by pulling it out from the cake slightly and smoothing from top to bottom. Pull it out and smooth, pull it out and smooth. It helps sometimes if I put the cake on top of something so the extra fondant at the bottom hangs below the cake, but you have to watch that the weight of the fondant doesn't make it tear.

jfroman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jfroman Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 10

Well, the cake was a topsy turvy...so they were angled, but still circles. So I would think that shouldnt really have anything to do with it right? I roll out the fondant-place on the cake-smooth the top and then pull it out and smooth...but was still left with big wrinkles I just couldnt get out-and then i was taking so long trying to work it out that the fondant starting cracking. It was just a bad night all around for me-lol. And I do use a smoother, so I am wondering-maybe I need to roll it out thinner? I dont know...I really need to just practice a lot more before I get any more fondant orders!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 10

Hi: I have found that for me, it took a lot of practice and you develop your own technique as you go along. Watching the videos really helps. You get to see all different ways it's done and experiment to find what works best for you. I don't use a smoother, as I was taught, but find my hands work better. And, how smooth your crumb coat is underneath the fondant really matters! I use a hot knife to get my BC as smooth as possible before I put on the fondant. I also transfer my fondant to my cake with a rolling pin. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 10

You have to work out each wrinkle/fold at a time. Pull them from side to side, then smooth with your smoothers or hands.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%