Ball Cake Pans

Decorating By krm52200 Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm by cutthecake

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 10

I have two cakes coming up where I will need to use the Wilton ball pan. For these cakes, can you tort and fill them or does that affect the perfect ball shape?

Thanks,

KRM

9 replies
Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 10

Good question! I'm interested in the responses. I've never tried torting and filling it.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:24am
post #3 of 10

Hmmmmmm - very limited experience here, but I did torte and fill the Wilton 6" ball pan once, and I just used enough icing to stick the halves together once. Torting actually seemed to help a bit since the recipe I used (WASC both times) wanted to "flatten" a bit in that ball shape.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:09am
post #4 of 10

I did tort and fill each half of the ball pan when I made the Christmas ornaments (you can see them in my photos) - but I didn't stick them together. However it didn't disturb the shape that much once I got the icing on. You would essentially have 4 layers each @ 3" tall.

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 10

Yes you can, it doesn't change the shape, I have done it on several occasion.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:35am
post #6 of 10

The instructions actually tell you to fill them. I do all the time. It actually helps round it out, vs. coming out with a rather squished ball.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:54am
post #7 of 10

torted and filled many times. works fine.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:46am
post #8 of 10

Wow! I totally learned something new!! I've always thought you couldn't do it without ending up with an egg-shaped basketball, baseball, etc!! I'm gonna try it!

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:12pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all for the replies! I haven't bought the pan yet, so I didn't realize they actually tell you to do it. I made a soccer ball in a pyrex bowl and I did fill both halves of that. As others pointed out, it helped with the shape but that wasn't really as round as the ball pan so I wasn't sure it would work again.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 10

A couple more questions about sports ball pan:

Do you torte each half?

Do you have to use dowels and cake boards to support the top half of the ball? If so, how do you do that?

Thanks. I've had that pan in my closet for years--maybe decades--and I've never used it. It looks like icing or covering it in fondant is a nightmare, especially towards the bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%