How Does Everybody Trim There Cakes?

Decorating By cupandcake81 Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm by Mug-a-Bug

cupandcake81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupandcake81 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 14

I have tryed to make a flowered shaped cake many times and cant seem to get the back of the cake even to lay flat any tips? Any advice would be great!

Thank you!
liz

13 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 14

hello and welcome to CC! you are in the right place to get all the information you need.
i am curious too to learn how to do this.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 14

I'm not quite sure what you mean... exact what shape/type of cake are you trying to do?

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 14

are you talking about the cakes made on the petal shaped pans? you can buy the those pans in any baking supply store or online.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 14

I don't understand the question.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 14

Are you talking about cutting off the hump that the cake forms during baking, so it will sit flat? You can buy a cake leveler for $3 that will work on cakes up to 10" across. That's the easiest way that I know to level it. When I try cutting it with a knife, I end up with a crooked cake.

cupandcake81 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:25am
post #7 of 14

sorry I wasnt more clear about what i was asking but yes the hump on the back of the cake.

liz

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 14

Trim it off with a knife or a cake leveling saw.

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #9 of 14

I sometimes use a bread knife.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #10 of 14

Fill the pan to about 2/3 full of batter so that when the cake bakes, it will rise above the upper rim of the pan. Then use this knife to level the cake while it is still in the pan.

http://www.cheftools.com/Fat-Daddios-CakeBread-Knife-14-inch/productinfo/12-1357-14/

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:23am
post #11 of 14

Hi and Welcome to CC, cupandcake81. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

The so much more includes extensive baking & cake making help provided by Wilton help links as well as CC members hints & tips on both baking and smoothing frosting, etc.

There is also a link to photos of common cake support systems with detailed and complete directions. Also an informative thread by leah_s on the SPS system.

I recommend getting comfy - it's a long read.

HTH

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:43am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Fill the pan to about 2/3 full of batter so that when the cake bakes, it will rise above the upper rim of the pan. Then use this knife to level the cake while it is still in the pan.

http://www.cheftools.com/Fat-Daddios-CakeBread-Knife-14-inch/productinfo/12-1357-14/

I agree. I just made a 12" petal cake in December.
Cut it flat before you take it out of the pan ( I actually used my Wilton cake leveler right along the pan) so it doesn't rip apart when you take it out. Then put the cooling rack on top of it, hold it together, flip over, and get the cake out of the pan right onto the cooling rack. Worked beautifully. No cracks. =)

Good luck!

cupandcake81 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 14

A BIG THANK YOU to everybody for the info.!

Liz

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:34pm
post #14 of 14

I use the flower nail in the middle of my cakes. They bake level enough that I don't get a 'hump'. My hubby is disappointed though that there aren't any more cake tops to eat icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%