How Long Do Candy Melt Decorations Keep?

Sugar Work By Cakey Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 12:38am by pj22

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 7

I'd like to make some butterflies out of candy melts in advance for some baby shower cupcakes, but how long will they keep? I need them for Sunday and I'd like to make them tonight. Do I store them in the fridge or do I have to make them less far in advance? Thanks for any help!

6 replies
tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 7

I made seashells for a bridal expo and made a couple weeks in advance. I had them in containers and some were bagged weeks in before. IMO you could keep the things in a container for a while!

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 7

I agree, in a sealed container, they keep for a few weeks at least.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 7

If you are just melting and molding the candy melts, they should last as long as the candy melts themselves would last. Just be careful of heat sources and be sure they are wrapped so they don't absorb odors.

My dad has a candy melt plaque I made for him 24 years ago. I'm always surprised when I run across it in his freezer! They've been through 3 refrigerators since then, yet the plaque remains!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 7

They should be just fine but so keep them wrapped so they don't absorb odors.

bltaylo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bltaylo3 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 7

or should we refrigerate?

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 12:38am
post #7 of 7

I made some sea animals out of candy melts last week, put them in a ziploc bag and put them in the fridge, away from the food. They look fine. i think you can store them in a cool dry place for months.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%