What Would You Do For Your Own Birthday Cake?

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 4 Jan 2010 , 5:07pm by BillieH

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:39am
post #1 of 24

My birthday is coming up in a week and I'm making my own cake this year.

Normally my husband makes cakes for me (even though it's a challenge for him to frost the thing, let alone decorate it. He knows how much I appreciate it when he makes the effort). But this year he'll be deployed, so I'm on my own. I have no idea what to make though! I'm so used to making someone else's cake that I'm having trouble coming up with something for me.

So I thought it'd be fun to ask you guys what you would choose? If you had plenty of time to do it in, what design would you make for yourself?

23 replies
tatechloeandlucysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:03am
post #2 of 24

You know, I'll have to put some thought into what I'd make for myself... I'm kinda too lazy to be honest lol. As for you, please consider making yourself something unbelievably awesome! My apologies to you that your sweetie has to miss your day for my sake. My UNWAVERING GRATITUDE to BOTH of you for the same reason. Please thank your husband for doing what he does and know that I am raising 3 little beings to be grateful and respectful of people in uniform. We quietly go up and say thank you and then walk away whenever possible. You and others like you are in our prayers every night. I suck at making cakes, but it would be an honor to make yours, ma'am. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS, ON YOUR BIRTHDAY AND EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY FROM HERE ON OUT.

chocolatefan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatefan Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:09am
post #3 of 24

I think for my birthday I would attempt this cake.

http://www.bakerella.com/fourteen-for-the-fourteenth/

Not a complicted design cake, but would be impressive no the less.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:10am
post #4 of 24

i would make something that is very much not me... meaning im not a girly girl so im thinking something pink with a tiara and very princess like

or a giagantic reeses peanut butter cup... Reeses are very hard to find down here but i love the peanut butter cups

MrsMabe Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:11am
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatechloeandlucysmom

You know, I'll have to put some thought into what I'd make for myself... I'm kinda too lazy to be honest lol. As for you, please consider making yourself something unbelievably awesome! My apologies to you that your sweetie has to miss your day for my sake. My UNWAVERING GRATITUDE to BOTH of you for the same reason. Please thank your husband for doing what he does and know that I am raising 3 little beings to be grateful and respectful of people in uniform. We quietly go up and say thank you and then walk away whenever possible. You and others like you are in our prayers every night. I suck at making cakes, but it would be an honor to make yours, ma'am. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS, ON YOUR BIRTHDAY AND EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY FROM HERE ON OUT.

Oh geez, you made me tear up icon_smile.gif Thank you so much for your kind words. I never feel like I deserve thanks, but I will certainly pass it on to my husband. Support from strangers means so much to him.

As for him missing my birthday, it could be worse! With technology today, he'll still wish me a happy birthday.

Thank you again.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:25am
post #6 of 24

Here is my birthday cake. Just had it 4 days ago. I just wanted to try out my new gifts from Christmas so thats why it really doesn't look like a birthday cake. The insides was "awesome" though. Cherry and Vanilla cake torted w/ kansaswolfs cherry choc. chip ricotta filing. Best cake I've made so far! Happy early birthday and I would make you a cake if I could! icon_smile.gif

Chippi!
LL

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:28am
post #7 of 24

check my picks the big pink one covered with flowers, I made for myself hehe

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:29am
post #8 of 24

Thats funny, I copied the recipe down last week for the fourteen layer cake. It looks so good. As for me, My birthday cake would have to be a cheesecake. no one else will do them or eat them around here, so I plan to make a cheesecake. Not sure what shape, or topping but something just for me!! I love Betty Boop. not sure if I can pull that shape off with cheesecake though LOL.
Happy Birthday on your upcoming one!

MrsMabe Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:02am
post #9 of 24

Ooh, cheesecake! That's a good idea. The hubs doesn't like cheesecake, so I rarely bother to make it. But I love the stuff! Maybe I'll make a cheesecake and try out chocolate wraps. Thanks for all the great ideas!

MrsMabe Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:03am
post #10 of 24

Oh, and happy upcoming birthday to you too Kathy!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:12am
post #11 of 24

Happy Birthday!! My birthday was Dec. 24th, yep, Christmas Eve! I have 3 small kids, and Santa's helper is a big job around here. I didn't want to bake (after making over 100 gingerbread men, and a birthday cake for our school teacher) so i sent my hubby to the local gourmet cupcake shop and got a red velvet cupcake for my birthday. I sent my 3 & 5 yr old with him and they picked for the rest of the family. I loved it!!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:34am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMabe

My birthday is coming up in a week and I'm making my own cake this year.

Normally my husband makes cakes for me (even though it's a challenge for him to frost the thing, let alone decorate it. He knows how much I appreciate it when he makes the effort). But this year he'll be deployed, so I'm on my own. I have no idea what to make though! I'm so used to making someone else's cake that I'm having trouble coming up with something for me.

So I thought it'd be fun to ask you guys what you would choose? If you had plenty of time to do it in, what design would you make for yourself?

Try a new technique that you are interested in, or perhaps a new size/shape or color combination. Try a new flavor combination that intrigues you. Above all, have fun with it and Happy Early Birthday!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:45pm
post #13 of 24

I personally love fashion...handbags, shoes, clothing. So for me I would make myself a handbag (preferably Louis Vuitton), a pair of gumpaste stilettos, and maybe a Tiffany & Co gift bag. I would do each cake a different flavor I love Chocolate & Red Velvet cake.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:45pm
post #14 of 24

I personally love fashion...handbags, shoes, clothing. So for me I would make myself a handbag (preferably Louis Vuitton), a pair of gumpaste stilettos, and maybe a Tiffany & Co gift bag. I would do each cake a different flavor I love Chocolate & Red Velvet cake.

cakemeasIam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeasIam Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:03pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Happy Birthday!! My birthday was Dec. 24th, yep, Christmas Eve! I have 3 small kids, and Santa's helper is a big job around here. I didn't want to bake (after making over 100 gingerbread men, and a birthday cake for our school teacher) so i sent my hubby to the local gourmet cupcake shop and got a red velvet cupcake for my birthday. I sent my 3 & 5 yr old with him and they picked for the rest of the family. I loved it!!

i did the same thing...a friend of mine just launched a cupcake business...DH surprised me with a chocolate merlot cupcake and the girls got a lucky charm cupcake. as long as i didn't have to bake it- i was pleased! icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:36pm
post #16 of 24

Me... I'd not make a cake, but I have never loved eating cake and now making cakes for a living I don't love eating them even more... icon_lol.gif. I'd do a cheesecake in a chocolate crust topped with tons of fresh raspberries... mmmm.

Give your hubby a big thanks from me too. My brother is a Marine and he is leaving for Afganistan today (probably already almost there as I type) and service men and women have always held a special place in my heart. My brotherin-law is in the Army as well. May he come home safe after his duty is through. ((hugs))

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:06pm
post #17 of 24

I just had my bday on Jan 2nd and had planned to make a cake for myself (mostly b/c it was an opportunity to add to my portfolio), but we have 6 birthdays in my family between Dec. 3rd and Jan 2nd (including my daughter on the 26th of Dec.) and I was caked-out. My DH and I went out for a date and got a piece of goat cheese/ricotta/cheesecake with berry coulis for dessert.....delicious....no leftovers, and I didn't have to make it!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm
post #18 of 24

Honestly by the time my birthday comes around I just want to kick up my feet and not look at another cake! icon_biggrin.gif I have one coming up in April and have already put a order in with the hubby for a cheesecake. thumbs_up.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:34pm
post #19 of 24

I don't eat desserts but I still like making cake for my party every year for my friends to enjoy. Last year it was a very simple ocean theme. I focus on my interests and I LOVE the ocean.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:34pm
post #20 of 24

I would make something that I have never tried befor that I wanted to learn. That way if it didn't turn out good it would not bother me to much any way.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:19pm
post #21 of 24

This is my 25th birthday cake. Never had a cool cake before so I made one for myself.
LL

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:34pm
post #22 of 24

This year I plan to make myself a handbag and a shoe, with animal print. It will be my first handbag, and my first shoe and my first attempt at animal prints. This year we may be overseas for my birthday, so if that happens then I won't be making the cake at all. icon_razz.gif

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:50pm
post #23 of 24

I made cake for my BD as well.....and I made a purse, because I wanted to do something new, and there are lots of stuff I wanted to try, so why not practice on yourself. Do some different technique, you wanted to try, or some design that inspired you...but mostly have fun!

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:07pm
post #24 of 24

After making cakes for other people...I would go out to chili's and have their Molten Chocolate Cake or their Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie....YUMMY. Or to Olive Garden and have their Black Tie Mousse Cake.

Darn, kinda wish my b-day was sooner rather than later now. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%