Cake Strips

Decorating By awesthei Updated 4 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm by LaBellaFlor

awesthei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awesthei Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:33am
post #1 of 15

I have been baking for a number of years now and have never made a complete FLOP until this weekend when I tried the wilton cake strips for the first time. I followed the directions on how to use the strips (thoroughly soak in water, squeeze out excess, and pin strips around pan). The cake normally bakes in an hour. After one hour the cake had exploded over the top of the pan, had formed a crust on the top, but the inside was a runny mess !!!!! WHAT DID I DO WRONG? Any thoughts? icon_sad.gif

14 replies
UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:48am
post #2 of 15

no idea! i LOVE the bake even strips!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #3 of 15

I don't know, but I don't think it was the bake even strips. They're supposed to just keep the outside baking before the middle and you had an explosion. Hmmm...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:59am
post #4 of 15

Sounds like your oven got too hot.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 15

I use them and haven't ever had a problem (knock on wood).
Now my wife used them a week back and baked for an hour at 350° F and the middle was still doughy. I was at work so I didn't see what she had done to achieve that... but she said looking back she probably didn't squeeze enough water out of the strips (they were still wet). So that might explain the center... but why it mushroomed I'm not sure... pan too full? New recipe that rises more than you thought?

And I'm not trying to insult you... I'm sure you are far more experienced than I am... it's just some days you have an off day... 3/4 full might lok like 1/2 instead.

Just of curiousity sake, what size are we talking? Was it a large pan?

indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 15

Here's an explanation of exactly what baking strips do: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6626888.html#6626888

I never bake without them. No matter how big or how small the pan.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 15

Can you use baking strips around petal pans and heart pans as well? I wasn't sure how safe it would be since part of the strip would probably dry out faster.

indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 15

It's safe. By the time the cake is baked, the strips are totally dry anyway.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks Debi! =)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 15

Did you change the temp of your oven?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 15

Hey Debi....do you use the Wilton strips? I've never used them, but I'm thinking about it for a huge cake coming up. If you don't use the Wilton....is there something better? I don't see anything on GSA, and I have been a searchin'!

indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 15

I assume they're wilton.....it's whatever my local cake supply shop sells. I'm 99% sure that's what they are.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #14 of 15

Mine are Wilton. They work great. And no, there is no reason to change the temp of your oven.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm
post #15 of 15

I use Wilton's on my 16" and they worked great. It's easy to pin extras together. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%