Cowboy/western Cookie Idea For Novice

Baking By sweetideas Updated 4 Jan 2010 , 8:20pm by sweetideas

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 12

Hi! I need some ideas for a western theme for my son's preschool class. I am not able to find any cookie cutters in my area that I see on here: i.e. cowboy boots or hats and I am pretty much terrible at filling in a cookie. Anyone have a cheesy cookie idea using simple indgredients? I am thinking simple the only thing I can find is a badge cookie using M & M's and a star cookie cutter. I need to make these monday for Tuesday AM class. TIA for any ideas.

11 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 12

This is just an example but what you can do if say you want to do cowboy boots and hats is find a simple image of them on google, trace them onto a pieces of paper and cut it out and use it as a template and cut around that on your cookie dough so you don't need a cutter.

Second, a really quick and easy way to cover your cookies with RI is to put the RI in a bowl, colour it and then thin it down and then holding it both sides simply dunk the front of the cookie into the RI moving it around so it covers the whole front then quickly flip it over and it may be a bit uneven but wait a few secs while it evens up and spreads itself out to a nice smooth looking surface. If it doesn't do it by itself just help spread it out the a toothpick or add some more RI to it if it isn't completely covered.

Then wait for that to dry a crust ontop and then pipe nice simple design on it with a thin piping tip and there you have a simple cookie.

Anyways just a thought to help you if you are uncomfortable at flooding cookies etc

HTH icon_smile.gif

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 12

Do you have a Surla Table near you? They have a selection of Western Cutters, and they're on sale for .56 ea now.

http://www.surlatable.com/category/features/once+a+year+sale-+cookie+cutters.do?sortby=ourPicks&method=view&shopby=&filterby=&page=2&asc=true

A cookie book I have does chocolate buffalo where the cookie is covered in brown (chocolate) icing and then uses chocolate sprinkles or jimmies where the furry parts are on the hump/shoulder area. They were cute.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 12
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 12

It says there is a cowboy hat in this set. You can get it at Michael's or Walmart for $10.00. And if you go to Michael's, you could use a 40% off coupon.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2304-1050

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 12

The Wilton set does have a boot,hat,and stars in it.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtacreamRose

The Wilton set does have a boot,hat,and stars in it.

Great idea to use the star....you can use edible markers to write "Sheriff" on them.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 12

I haven't ventured into cookies much yet but have been reading up on it lately.

If you can't find a western cutter, make your own. Try using an empty veggie can and bending the top of it to make a hat shape.

Also, for "icing" the cookies. If you can find or make a cutter to use, try covering your cookies with fondant that has also been cut with the cutter. Take the cookies out of the oven, place the fondant cut-out on them while warm, and then add any other embelishments or details you would like.

HTH!

sweetideas Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks for the ideas! I think I am going to try to do rolled buttercream if my RI doesn't turn out. The food writers are a great idea, I hadn't thought about that. cylstrial: I saw your cookies in the gallery and thought they were amazing, I just know I can't get my RI that pretty (see my tae kwon do cookies in my pix, they are awful!) Now off to get started and find supplies. Thanks everyone! I hope the food writers will work on RBC, I don't know if the kids will like fondant (since I am not up to making my own and we all know how the store brand tastes.) icon_smile.gif

sweetideas Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtofourmonkeys

I haven't ventured into cookies much yet but have been reading up on it lately.

If you can't find a western cutter, make your own. Try using an empty veggie can and bending the top of it to make a hat shape.

Also, for "icing" the cookies. If you can find or make a cutter to use, try covering your cookies with fondant that has also been cut with the cutter. Take the cookies out of the oven, place the fondant cut-out on them while warm, and then add any other embelishments or details you would like.

HTH!

WOW, I never thought of that--that's a great idea! Thanks!

sweetideas Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

Thank you, my search didn't bring up so many, but I didn't know where to get the cookie cutters on such short notice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%