Bachelor Buttons For A Funeral

Decorating By Mkanz Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm by Mkanz

Mkanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mkanz Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know if Bachelor Buttons can be made from gumpaste? My cousin died on New Year's Day and my aunt wants Bachelor Buttons for his floral spray on the casket. Unfortunately, you can't get them this time of year. I thought about making them with gumpaste if someone could tell me how!!!!

Help!!

6 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 7

First, I am sorry for your family's loss.

I looked high and low for gum paste bachelor buttons and didn't find any.

I see them in butter cream, but I know that's not what you want.

I looked to see if you could buy them...nope not even at globalsugarart.com

I looked to see if you could buy a spray fresh from somewhere...nope again.

Wikipedia says its also called a cornflower...nothing there either.

Sorry I couldn't be more help...maybe someone else can

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 7

I went to Bing and typed it in and pictures came up. You could probably duplicate it from the pics. There's alot of petals in the blue flower which is the most commom color. You should be able to use a daisy cutter in a couple different sizes but the drying time may be a problem. There's a pic of a yellow one you may be able to do in time.
Sorry for your loss. I will try & post the site.

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 7

http://www.bing.com/search?q=bachelor+buttons&form=QBLH&qs=AS&pq=bachelor+butt I don't know how to link but this is where I saw the pics. HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 7

Have you checked to see if you can find any silk ones? http://www.afloral.com/Silk-Flowers-Artificial-Flowers-Fake-Flowers/Floral-Bushes/20-Cornflower-Bush-in-Dark-Blue The nicer silk flowers look just like the real thing.

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 7

Maybe experiment with it a little. Maybe try making each petal individually, then connecting them to the center.

I'm very sorry for your loss, and I hope you're able to find a way to get the bachelor buttons into the arrangement.

Mkanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mkanz Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone for your help! After also trying to find some sort of way to do this I decided to make a cake for the luncheon after the funeral and put butter cream bachelor buttons on the cake! My aunt cried when I told her I was going to do it....so....with the time constraints on the gum paste drying I think this is the best substitute!

Thank you for your kind thoughts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%