Wire Help

Decorating By totallycaked Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 2:23am by totallycaked

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating and want to use floral wire to make stuff stick out.. like a topper. I have read somewhere about floral wire not being food safe? I can not find the article so I am sorry if this has been covered before. But can someone please help me... what wire do I use in a cake to make decorations stick out like stars or beads. What is safe? thank you in advance and Happy New Year.
shawna

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 5

You can use any gauge wire that you prefer for the type of deco that you're making because no wire is really food safe--even stainless steel or copper will corrode in a damp environment like cake.

The key is to make sure that the wire isn't inserted directly into cake. You need to place it in a straw, a coffee stirrer, or dip it in chocolate that is allowed to harden, before inserting it into the cake.

HTH
Rae

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:29am
post #3 of 5

I like to take two or three wires with stars or whatever on them and stick them in one straw that I then fill with candy melts. When that cools and hardens, the wires will stay put. When I put three into one straw, they appear to be sprouting from the same place.....does that make sense???

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I like to take two or three wires with stars or whatever on them and stick them in one straw that I then fill with candy melts. When that cools and hardens, the wires will stay put. When I put three into one straw, they appear to be sprouting from the same place.....does that make sense???

Makes perfect sense to me. I can picture it and I like it. Seems better than using several straws/coffee stirrers for each wire. I've wanted to do this for a long time but have been concerned about the wire issue. Now I'm gonna give it a try!

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:23am
post #5 of 5

Thank you Thank You Thank YOU.... that totally helps. I am going to the store to get coffee straws right now. I love the idea of putting a few in each. I can see it... hopefully I can get it on the cake now that it is my head. I knew I could count on you cc peeps. Thanks so much! Shawna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%