What's The Best Way To Make This Topper Out Of Fondant?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 10:01pm by drakegore

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 7

i'm making a 50th birthday cake that needs to have a RV on top of it (aaaargh). it's 10" round cake so the RV will probably not be more than 4" long.

i am not sure what the best way is to do the rv body. a solid block of carved fondant?

will be pretty heavy, but i guess that is ok...i think icon_confused.gif

the wheels will have to support the rv (unless i put it on a stake to stick in cake) so i also need a good idea for sturdy attachment of wheels.

i soooo just wanna make floral cakes, lol.

thank you for any help that you can throw my way!
diane
LL

6 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 7

How about making the round fron part out of styro and the rest cake? Just an idea.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 7

Since the RV is going to be just a small topper, I'd make it out of styrofoam covered with fondant. I think if it was solid fondant, it might want to crack while drying.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 7

Might try Rice Krispies covered in fondant, light and edible and cheap too.Please show and tell when it's doneicon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 7

For something only 4 inches long, I'd definitely go with fondant. I'd add a bit of tylose to it.

If you don't have that, make it half fondant+half gum paste.

You can hand shape the fondant, carve bits away, and then add things to it.

It's not worth struggling with styro or RKTs for something this small. It will wind up weighing about the same, anyway. And, you'll still need a support under it so that it doesn't sink into the cake. I'd use a single Wilton plastic tube dowel for it.

HTH
Rae

YesiBoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YesiBoo Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 7

I also think Rice Krispies is the way to go...shape the RV cover with BC then apply your fondant. icon_surprised.gif)

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 7

thank you all for the ideas!

i had bought lollipop sticks to support the weight of the rv, but i like the plastic tube dowel idea better!

thank you again!
diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%