How Do I Make My White Cake Mix Cakes Look Really White.

Baking By Angela6001 Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 11:41pm by zdebssweetsj

Angela6001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela6001 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 11:53am
post #1 of 9

How do I get my white cake mix cakes really white? I already use egg whites. They still are a light yellow. Do I use white food coloring and put in mix?

8 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 9

Are the cakes "off" white after they're baked. I've not noticed a white not being white if only the egg whites are used. Interesting problem.

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 9

It's probably from the pudding they put in it.

Why do you need it to be bright white? White cake, even when made from scratch isn't blinding white. If it's not completely yellow, then I doubt your customers would complain. (sorry, don't mean to be a crumudgeon).

I guess I'm so used to mine being a little yellow because I use an egg yolk or two in there that when I go straight egg whites it looks super white to me. It also has a different consistency.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 9

I use duncan hines and the wasc recipe, and it is very white. (only use egg whites also) - you can definately tell a color change with the other mixes that have pudding in them and if you use any of the yolk in it.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 9

If you want it really white, then add some super white food coloring. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 9

Just curious, is the white-factor your personal preference or did a customer say something? Most cake cusotmers, who also use cake mixes, will think the standard white cake mix is white. I even add an egg yolk or two and with that extra coloring, no one has ever complained or even mentioned it.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 9

I'm not sure who to credit however I did read on here that you can add a tiny amount of violet food coloring to your batter for an even whiter cake. Kind of like older ladies' "bluing" their hair.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptier

I'm not sure who to credit however I did read on here that you can add a tiny amount of violet food coloring to your batter for an even whiter cake. Kind of like older ladies' "bluing" their hair.

I heard that too ~ never tried it though.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 9

Wilton's make a White White lightner that I use if I need White butter cream it woul probably work for that also. Do you use butter in your cake mix, that could be the problem?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%